Sunday, December 2, 2018

Return of Beige Food plus a Mini Haul!

Friday was a dreary day here in SLC. Grey, cold and half rain half snow. These kinds of days always remind me of Seattle. All I wanted was soup, so I made a tomato-y lentil soup and a grilled daiya on gluten free bread. Delicious, cozy and comforting.
Booch, brown and white bulk Jasmine rice, baby carrots, oranges, frozen berries, orange spice and lemon ginger tea, tofu, white onion and chocolate soy milk.

Here's my little mini Winco haul. Remember my groovy 70's or 80's jug I found at a thrift shop to make my kombucha? Well, I keep it on the top shelf of my pantry while it ferments and the other day I noticed something was leaking. It was my kombucha, somewhere along the way the jug developed a small crack in the bottom. So it made a big vinegar-y mess and ruined that batch of kombucha. Now I just have to back to the thrift shop for another jug, or just buy one of those huge jars of pickles, whichever comes first!
Last night I had an old favorite. Oven fries seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder and tofu nuggets. All dipped in curry Just Mayo. In my pregan days I thought people who dipped their fries in mayo had serious issues with taste. But now Just Mayo is one of my favorite condiments and I almost always have a jar in my fridge!


5 comments:

  1. I'm a Vegenaise fan myself, but yes. I buy the reduced fat kind because I seem to eat so much mayo (I don't buy reduced fat anything else, really ever) and because sometimes it tends to disappear from the store I keep a backup jar on hand. I haven't had mayo with fries in ages but now you're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That stinks about your jar. Hope you find a replacement soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that soup and grilled cheese sounds so good!! It’s been a chilly rainy weekend here and that sounds so perfect.
    What a bunmer about your kombucha jar! Ughhhh. Maybe ask the deli/prepared foods people at your work?? They might have a leftover big jar from pickles or olives or whatever vegan thing that you could adopt.....
    I’m very into mayo with fries *as long as there’s malt vinegar too* those Brits are really onto something with the malt vinegar and salt on fries plus mayo to dunk combo. I don’t go through much mayo myself but i do pick up the just mayo since it goes on sale regularly. Good stuff!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sad about your jar! Personally, I would got for a giant jar of pickles to replace it. Because then you get pickles!
    I'm more a ketchup girl for dunking, but I do like to do a ketchup and mayo side by side. Unless there is a lot of seasoning on whatever I want to dunk, then mayo is the favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your soup and grilled cheese sounds perfect for the dreary day! That's too bad about your kombucha jug; I like Susan's logic of getting a big jar of pickles to replace it!

    ReplyDelete