Saturday, December 15, 2018

Balance

I made it to the library to pick up my reserved book, and found an extra along the way! I just can't ever make it out of a library with only one book!
I wanted to clarify that I'm not going to be strictly living Eat to Live style. I really just felt inspired by a video I watched to try and eat more vegetables daily. I also want to eat a wider variety of veggies. I kind of stick to my favorites and don't go out of my way to try new. I feel this is an area I can improve, but I have no desire to get super restrictive and go salt, oil and sugar free. I was raised with a lot of food restrictions, and for many, many years of my life I struggled with eating disorders. Although I don't find veganism to be restrictive at all, I do find gluten free to be restrictive and that's enough for me. When I did that elimination diet where I cut out sugar, gluten and soy I struggled at the end. And it triggered some disordered thinking. I obsessed a little about having soy again. I worried about gaining weight and it was pretty bad. I though I was over that but I guess those thoughts are always lurking. I just want to improve and expand my taste buds a bit.
I picked up this Thai green curry sauce on my last trip to Trader Joe's. Last night was a night that would have been an amazing night to have someone cook for me! This meal was close enough! I just quickly sauteed some tofu with green onions, added the sauce and made some rice. Dinner in under twenty with very little actual hands on time. The sauce is thick and creamy, lemongrass heavy which makes me so happy and it has a little kick. I would say if you're sensitive to spice this isn't for you. I loved it and will definitely be buying this again!
Endangered Species new packaging caught my eye! Also this new flavor! I don't think I've seen this before. It's that time when I just can't say no to chocolate. I used to love Mr. Goodbars and this reminds me of those! Except not milk chocolate and with a little saltiness. I think this might be my new favorite vegan chocolate bar!




11 comments:

  1. Balance is definitely key for any lifestyle. I'm glad you were able to recognize and deal with the disordered thinking before it got to be too bad. Eating more veggies is never a bad thing and I'm sure you'll find your perfect balance. That curry looks so delicious and hooray for chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to try. I just have to be careful.
      The curry is really, really good. Better than I could make myself!

      Delete
  2. Good for you for taking care of yourself! I know what you mean, both about not wanting a restricted diet--I had a VERY restrictive diet due to some digestive issues in college and vegan doesn't feel restrictive but some of the diets people follow sound horrible. The no oil ones sound horrific! Cutting out salt and sugar would be even worse!

    I know what you mean about sticking to your comfortable veggies, though. I have to push myself away from broccoli and carrots and branch out sometimes! Good luck. I hope you find some new favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried water sauteing and it's not horrible, but a little bit of oil is so much better! And I cannot imagine a life without salt!!! I know your tastebuds adjust, but I feel okay about having some salt an sugar in my life!
      Thank you, I hope I do too!

      Delete
  3. The “eat to live” regime is definitely restrictive as is. I’m sure it won’t hurt to read it, and there are some habits that can certainly be adapted in a way that works for you.
    I’ve tried that simmer sauce and it was too spicy for my wimpy self! Ugh. Sounds like a delicious meal. I have a weird schedule lately and am away from home a few days a week- there’s this great thai place with a vegan section and I order their coconut milk lemongrass tofu mushroom veggie soup with some frequency, it’s perfect for chilly nights!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so far it's really restrictive. But I definitely think I can learn some things. I don't think it's all or nothing.
      That soup sounds like something I'd order! I really love anything lemongrass!

      Delete
  4. I love Endangered Species, and that packaging is super cute. Alas, we can't get it here, but I have had some from the US and so good. That flavour sounds the best!

    Balance is so important with eating. I have found myself tipping into restrictive thoughts lately. And no no no brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so, so good. They put the perfect amount of peanuts and salt!
      I'm glad you caught the thoughts. It's so easy to let it go on and soon those thoughts become normal!!

      Delete
    2. I was scared when I caught myself having disordered thinking again.

      Delete
  5. The sauce sounds great and your dinner looks fantastic! I haven't seen the new Endangered Species chocolate, but I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for that flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are just looking at ways to expand your diet rather than restrict. Especially because there are lots of diets that are questionable, mostly using questionable science to back them. Especially with no oil or no salt diets. When going vegan going no oil (and being REALLY strict about it) leave lot of people with not enough fat in their diet, and I remember reading an article all about how we are cutting TOO much salt in our diets. Everyone assumes less salt is better, but if you don't need to cut it out for specific medical reasons, then you might not get enough. And the side effects of not enough salt is worse than too much salt. Naturally it is hard to cut out salt and oil in a diet, but I know there are people who seek perfection, or don't get the results they want and beat themselves up for it.

    ReplyDelete