Saturday, December 29, 2018

Bits and Bobs and Budgets

This was another meal using bits and bobs and it turned out fantastic! I had a couple of potatoes that needed to be used, some leftover tofu and a few tater tots that have been in my freezer for who knows how long. So I made a potato and tofu scramble with a few tots standing in as hash browns. I also had one of my BFree dinner rolls. I topped it all with some hp sauce. It's not the prettiest but it was delicious! It's been far too long since I've had tofu scramble! I have some shredded cheddar daiya in my freezer and I was going to add some to the scramble, but it was so tasty I didn't even want it!
I've been kind of uninspired in the kitchen lately so cooking with random bits and bobs has been really fun. That's actually how I taught myself to cook.
I'm always searching for plant based, cruelty free cleaning supplies that I can actually afford. Which is not always an easy task.  The dish soap from Trader Joe's has a very light scent and it works really well. I believe it's $2.49 a bottle. And the all purpose cleaner from Whole Foods is my must have cleaner. I can't imagine using anything else now. It works really, really well but it's the scent that is out of this world. It's so orange-y but very natural. I'm telling you, if you hate cleaning get this because you will want to use it!! It's $2.99 which is a really great price.
It's coming up on the New Year and I've seen a few tweets where people are thinking about going vegan in the new year, but the cost is holding them back.
While I think it's AMAZING that a lot of vegan food is becoming really mainstream, like the Beast and Impossible burgers which are everywhere including so many restaurants and fast food joints, the downside is a lot of these products that are getting the most attention are super pricey! For those of us who have been vegan for awhile it's no big deal, we know there are tons of other options. But for new vegans are people who are vegan curious I can see how this would be scary. And even make some people just say forget it. We budget vegans have to be loud too!





5 comments:

  1. Bits and bobs meals are always fun, and this one sounds particularly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was making my transition, expensive substitutes were really important. I literally burst into tears of relief when I first had a Beyond Burger. For me, it was really expensive to go vegan because I had to direct myself away from feelings of deprivation. I ate ANYTHING I wanted so long as it was vegan. It helped me fall in love with the food I had available.

    Now, I spend a lot less than I did as an omnivore and I'm pretty good at pulling together appealing food and I also think I've largely forgotten what a lot of those animal products I used to have taste like. It's a cheaper diet now, but I sympathize with people who say it's expensive to go vegan, especially if they, like me, have to go it alone without any sort of guide but books and the internet to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tofu scramble sounds awesome! I was just in CA visiting my family and made several meals from found things here and there (my family is not vegan or vegetarian) like a can of black beans, random veggies, tomato paste and some veg better than bullion that i made into a tasty soup one night. Feels very satisfying to make something from “nothing”.
    Thanks for the info on the cleaning supplies! I am sensitive to the smell of stuff so that’s important to me too.
    Obviously there’s an expensive way and a budget way to eat vegan, the same as an omni diet or any diet for that matter. I really believe that if you want something badly enough you find a way around the excuses and potential obstacles.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice finds! Looking forward to hearing more on that dish soap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes bits and bobs are the best meals ^___^

    ReplyDelete