Friday, December 7, 2018

Mini Haul, Meals and Cats!

I wanted to make a recipe for a vegan green bean casserole. Just like what I remember as a kid. All I really remember from holiday meals is green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. I was going to make a thick cashew cream of mushroom soup, and use canned French cut green beans which are the ONLY green beans that should be used in my opinion. So I got on the bus, and went to Smith's for some canned green beans. And of course mushrooms and those delicious but bad french fried onions. My plan fell apart when I realized that those onions are dredged in flour!!! AARRRGGGGHHH! I'm sure there are gluten free versions, probably only sold at Sprouts and Whole Foods for ten times the price. I thought about just buying the onions and having a cheat, but I've been doing so good with gluten I decided to stay strong and forget about the casserole.
I meandered around and found a few things anyway. I wanted to get some cucumbers for my hummus, and I decided to go nuts and get some gluten free pita bread!
Green onion,kombucha,tea,Epsom salts,bananas, gluten free vegan cookie dough,vaniila silk creamer,peanut butter,tofu,baby Persian cucumbers,avocado,lemon,tamari,BFree Pita
I somehow forgot tofu and bananas when I got groceries on Sunday. Bananas I can understand, but tofu?? How dare I!!!
Simple truth is Smith's/Kroger/Fred Meyer's organic store brand and they make some pretty good stuff. I like their beefless burgers and they used to have vegan breakfast sausage that was really good too. And now they have vegan pudding cups!! This is great for vegan kids so they can have the same kind of fun stuff everyone else has!
This tea is AMAZING!

The BFree pitas are long and thin, kind of like a longboard. So I cut a small piece of the top and had a long pita sandwich! I heated the bread in the oven for a few to soften it a bit. It of course isn't as pliable as the gluten full version, but it held up to lots of hummus, cucumbers and sauerkraut! Also pea shoots! I love the taste, no baking soda detected!
For dinner I made vegan Japchae noodles. I used mung bean noodles but it's supposed to be sweet potato glass noodles with veggies, tofu and a delicious sauce made with tamari, sugar, sesame oil and a little rice vinegar all stir fried together. I added crushed red pepper because I always need it spicy!
Even introverts need cuddles!



10 comments:

  1. Ooooh gluten free pitas, what a great find!! The sandwich looks amazing and I love the dessert teas! i never thought to try them with a little creamer, that sounds like a great treat! The noodles look delicious and who can resist introvert kitty snuggles! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pitas were definitely a splurge, but so, so worth it!!
      A little creamer just makes them even more decadent!

      Delete
  2. The noodles look great!
    Green bean casseroles are not part of my upbringing, but I have made a few since going vegan. I am not a fan of those french fried onion rings, I prefer using flaked almonds. But I do love the fried shallots that you can get from Asian grocery stores or European delis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kin of the opposite of you, I love the fried onions! Once I found out I couldn't have them, the casserole became pointless!
      I saw a recipe to make them yourself, but I am deadly afraid of deep frying!!
      I'll have to look for those shallots the next time I go to the Asian market!

      Delete
    2. Deep frying is terrifying!!!!

      Delete
  3. Such a bummer about the fried onions! I didn’t grown up with green bean casserole, but i’ve made it myself from scratch a few times and we loved it- however I certainly bought the onions!
    I would be very into vegan pudding cups.
    There’s a holiday tea called sugar cookie from celestial seasonings that i hoard! It’s soooo good and often goes on sale at Target :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for that tea today! It sounds really delicious!

      Delete
  4. When I was looking for a vegan recipe for green bean casserole, I found a lot of them wanted me to make my own french fried onions. I don't know if that would be too much effort for you, but if it wouldn't, I thought I would throw it out there. But the food you did eat was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to make my own but I have a serious fear of deep frying!

      Delete
  5. Mmm.. I love glass noodles. So yummy!

    Stinks about the onions! They aren't the worst for you in the sense that I am pretty sure the onions are just freeze dried to make them shelf stable. But in the future you can try looking around for a gluten-free homemade version. It isn't quite the same, but they can be SUPER YUMMY! Sadly, I am always bad and been burning them the past few times.

    ReplyDelete