Thursday, December 27, 2018

Buttah Baby!

I hope everyone who celebrates had a wonderful, relaxing holiday. I hunkered down with my girls and made a lasagna and apple crisp. The lasagna only turned out so so because the bottom layer of noodles didn't cook correctly, but the apple crisp was amazing. And I tried the Reddi Whip almond whip which I actually like better than the coconut which is insane given my love of all things coconut. It's a little less sweet and more of a compliment to sweet desserts.
I guess this was my present to myself. Smith's had all three items on sale, and I wanted to use some of the sun dried tomato cheese in my lasagna, and I wanted a palm oil free vegan butter so Miyoko's it was! Guys, Miyoko's butter is the real deal. I haven't used Earth Balance in probably at least a year, maybe longer. I rarely need vegan butter, but when I do I just use whatever accidentally vegan spread I can find with no palm oil. It's nearly impossible which is why I've just lived without it. The Miyoko's is exactly how I remember dairy butter. It's thick and creamy and, well buttery! To me , Earth Balance is more like margarine, and the Miyoko's is like the best butter you could ever imagine. The Miyoko's was on sale for the same price as Earth Balance, but as someone on the gram pointed out it's a smaller package so either way it's more expensive. Since I use butter like once a year I say it's worth it, but if you use it daily the price would be an issue. The butter is hands down my favorite Miyoko's product that I've tried so far.
Here is my apple crisp. I made the topping with oats, almond flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. It was so good with the almond whip!
Whether Joan wanted it or not, Kiki's gift was the gift of constant cuddles for now and ever!! Sometimes it's easier just to give in to the cuddle!



9 comments:

  1. Ooooh what delicious eats and hooray for splurgy items! The apple crisp is perfect! I made apple crisp for Christmas Eve as well but I forgot to photograph it because I was too full to eat it! Wah! Anyway, yours looks like perfection and I'll have to try the Miyoko's butter and the Almond Whip! Hooray for kitty snuggles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple crisp was more of my dinner than the failed lasagna!

      Delete
  2. I love Miyoko's butter. I only bought it once (on a rare trip to Whole Foods) but on Christmas Eve at about 8 pm I ended up at Target (don't even ask) and I spotted a few bricks of it (along with a bunch of other vegan products) in the produce refrigerator case. I cannot believe that our local Target actually carries a small, nicely curated selection of vegan food items! So exciting. You're right Hillary - it's a brave new world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Like I said I got those items at a very regular, non vegan friendly grocery. It gives me hope.

      Delete
  3. I am not a huge fan of butter, so I think it will take me awhile to get the Miyoko butter. I only really used it for baking, so I stick with Earth Balance. I know they use Palm Oil but they at least try and ethically source it. I might suggest it to my Mom though, she is going dairy free because of a lactose intolerence, and she'll try and go gluten free in the new year because of digestion issues. I'll have recommendations since i read the blog ^__~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never loved butter either. That's why I didn;t mind the price because it was such a rare thing.
      I think your mom would love the Miyoko's if she loves butter. I put a tiny amount on my tongue, and it had that same fattiness I remember from butter.

      Delete
  4. So glad you got to try it! My first purchase of Miyokos' Butter was this past summer. I had it in the camper during fair week! It was better than butter! I thought it was sweeter and actually melted even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apple crisp looks super delicious! I got some of Miyoko's butter when it was on sale; I love using it when making grilled cheese sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love apple crisp! Sounds like a lovely night of food. And I always will accept the gift of kitty snugs.

    ReplyDelete