Monday, November 19, 2018

Vegan Scalloped Potatoes

Anyone who has been reading this blog for awhile knows that I don't really do holidays. So every year I feel like a horrible blogger because I don't have gorgeous pictures and recipes for super fun, festive food. Not that I ever have gorgeous pictures, but you know what I mean!
Yesterday I realized I have a lot of potatoes, plus some cashews, so why not try to make vegan scalloped potatoes? I feel like that could be a side dish that would be widely accepted by vegans and non vegans alike. I tried to make this early so I could have some nice natural light, but the day got away from me so the pictures don't do the potatoes justice!
I also made garlic-y Brussels sprouts, but the recipe wasn't as awesome as I hoped it would be. I decided to get all fancy and attempt a maple syrup glaze type of thing and it wasn't my favorite.
This is what I'm most proud of. In the past my scalloped potatoes have been looser and messier than they should be. But this time I precooked the potato slices and used a thick cashew cream and they turned out really nice!

                                                             Vegan Scalloped Potatoes

  • 3/4 C. raw cashews soaked for at least two hours. ( look for raw cashew pieces in the bulk section, They're much cheaper than whole cashews!)
  • 6 Medium russet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced.
  • 1 C. Water
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/4 Tsp. Garlic powder
  • 1/ 4 Tsp. Onion Powder
Boil the potato slices for about eight minutes. You want them to be Al Dente. Once done rain and set aside. I put the slices on plate in a single layer so they didn't stick together. Blend the cashews, water and seasonings until smooth and creamy.
In a non stick baking pan add a layer of sauce, then a layer of potato slices. Add a little more sauce to cover, and then the rest of the potato slices. Cover with the rest of the sauce, cover the dish with foil and bake in a 350 oven for forty minutes. After thirty minutes I took the foil off and added a handful of daiya mozzarella shreds and let those get all melty. That step is optional of course, they didn't really need the cheese. Let rest for five or ten minutes before slicing!
I live with too much cuteness!!!



8 comments:

  1. This looks great.I always like to see this dish made simply like this.I'm going to have to give them a go.Thanks for sharing.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was actually really simple. I hope you like it if you try it!

      Delete
  2. I love a good vegan scalloped potato recipe! LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scalloped potatoes are sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG those potatoes!!!!! That looks absolutely incredible and I bet it was perfect paired with the brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had scalloped potatoes in forever! These look so yummy! Maybe I will make them sometimes for a Christmasy dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That recipe looks great! I have often had runny scalloped potatoes when I've tried, but yours look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scalloped potatoes but haven't made them in a while; I'll have to give your recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete