Monday, November 12, 2018

Trader Joe's Falafel Mix!

I always go back and forth on buying this. I have put it in and taken it out of my basket so many times it's not even funny. I've tried two different falafel mixes in the past and they were both terrible so I pretty much gave up on boxed falafel mix. But last week I guess I was feeling brave so I decided to pick it up, and last night I was craving a falafel salad. Perfect time to try it!
The directions are very simple, you just mix the dry mix with water, let it sit for thirty to sixty minutes and then either fry or bake. The ingredients are simple and what should be in falafel. Fava beans, chickpeas, spices, baking powder and such. I could tell this was going to be better than the other mixes right away. The dry mix smelled delicious, an once I mixed it with the water it really smelled great!
I was scared to bake the falafel because I've tried that in the past with mixed, mostly bad results. But I also have a deep, deep fear of deep frying so I kind of did a shallow fry? I used more oil than I would to saute, but less than a deep fry. They held together well and gave me no problems at all. 
I made a delicious salad with butter lettuce, red onion, green olive and banana pepper rings and had the falafel with it. I also made a spicy, garlic-y tahini sauce. You can taste the garlic and parsley, and these really don't taste like they came from a box. Absolutely delicious, I will DEFINITELY buy these again! It's also a deal at $2.99 a box, that box will make a lot of falafel. I still have over half the mix left! I think I'll try falafel burgers next!!



4 comments:

  1. Oooh you can't go wrong with falafel in a salad! It looks delicious and I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! Definitely a good deal for a few servings as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad was so good! I almost didn't miss the pita. And it was certainly better than most gluten free options anyway!

      Delete
  2. Oh yay! I have a falafel mix sitting in my cupboard at the moment that I will be trying soon, I hope it has similarly successful results! I've been hurt before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that the falafel mix worked out for you! Looks like it made a great meal with the salad and sauce!

    ReplyDelete