Thursday, November 29, 2018

Trying Some New Stuff

I've tried a few new to me items in the past few days and I thought why not share my thoughts and opinions.
I'm a big fan of Brew Dr. kombucha. I've tied several of their flavors and loved them all and I expected to love this one but I just didn't. It's made with white tea and flavored with rose so I expected it to maybe be too floral-y but actually I thought it was just dry and bland. It had a mild floral taste but it was too dry for my taste. It did not make me happy.
I love hodo soy tofu. They make these tofu curry nuggets which are one of my favorite things ever. The texture of their tofu is hands down the best of any tofu I've ever had. I would eat their tofu all the time if my budget allowed. Luckily for me Natural grocers has a sale on hodo soy so I finally got to try these burgers, and I'm so glad I did!
These are basically their amazing tofu shape into a burger. It has that chewy delicious texture. It has that meaty texture without being too meaty. In addition to tofu the burgers have cabbage, carrot and shitake mushrooms. You can eat these right out of the package, or if you heat them up it takes minutes because it's just already cooked tofu. These are probably the best vegan burger I've ever had. I love everything about these. The flavor is mild so you could take it a lot of places with sauces and the texture!! These get a nine out of ten and the only reason a point is deducted is because of the price. But flavor wise these are beyond a ten!
I've been trying to add more probiotics into my diet. So, everyday in addition to my kombucha, I try to have miso or sauerkraut. If I can ever find a sale on vegan kimchi that will be in the rotation too. I found this Farmhand Organics green chile kraut on sale and had to try it. It definitely has a kick. This would be great on a tofu pup with some mustard.
Last but not least I found these at Winco for a decent price. I've seen them at other stores an they're pretty pricey for only three popsicles. They're made with strawberry puree, water and cane sugar. That's it. They taste like the ingredients. Like frozen strawberry pie filling. Yum!
These get an honorable mention because I saw these at Trader Joe's on Monday but haven't tried them. They must be brand new because they didn't even have a price or description yet. I never had a crab cake in my pregan days, and honestly the crabless cakes by gardein are my least favorite of their products so I don't know about trying these. But I know a lot of people might be really excited for these!






8 comments:

  1. So many great new things!! The burgers sound freaking delicious, I hope that it is something that I'll e able to find here. I love Strawberry ice pops so much, they are my fav! I've seen the Jackfruit Cakes in the Vegan Trader Joe's fb group and I added it to my list. I'm so curious about those! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strawberry pops taste like the strawberry part of Trader Joe's fruit frenzy bars. They're so, so good!
      I can't wait to see what you think of the jackfruit cakes!

      Delete
  2. Those tofu burgers sounds so good. I was able to try some Hodo soy products years ago when I was in Sand Francisco, and was very impressed.
    Bummer about the rose drink. I normally love rose flavour, so I would have had high hopes for it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Hodo soy. I swear I don't know what they do but it just has the absolute best texture!!
      The rose flavor was really just barely there. It was so disappointing, especially because I'm such a fan of their other flavors!

      Delete
  3. Those hodo tofu burgers sound awesome! I’ll certainly keep my eye out for a sale on those, sometimes their tofu goes on sale at whole foods but i love the vacuum packed high protein tofu from TJs so much which is a much better price for more tofu.
    Those jackfruit cakes sound like something fun to try! I LOVE when TJs has new vegan meal options! The frozen vegan jackfruit curry is awesome so i have high hopes.
    For probiotics fermented carrot pickles are stupid easy to make, and you can add in some jalapeños so they’re spicy. Literally carrots, salt and jalapeños. Cheap!
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/lacto-fermented-carrot-recipe-1327619
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tofu burgers really blew my mind. They are hands down my new favorite veggie burger which is sad because of their price!! I need to see if they're still on sale at Natural Grocers!
      I haven't tried their jackfruit curry yet but I always look at it when I'm there.
      I didn't realize it could be that easy. I figured I needed a fancy fermenting kit or something. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. You woukd be very into spicy jalapeño carrot pickles! No special anything needed and just takes a few days.
      Definitely get the jackfruit curry at TJs sometime as an easy fast dinner. You’ll probably want to add more hot sauce ;)) i flopped the whole hot thing ontop of some baby spinach to add more veg and catch all the tasty sauce!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  4. I was at Trader Joe's the other day and I was thinking there was some fun new product I wanted to try but I couldn't remember what. AGH! It was totally those new crab cakes. *sigh* oh well. Maybe next time. They are always busy so I am very focused and in and out lately.

    I think I would like that kombucha, I LOVE dry kombuchas. But I couldn't justify buying it since I can't even keep up with my own batch. lol I am even going to serve kombucha at my sons birthday party because I am like "why not? I have so much!"

    ReplyDelete