Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Ugly but Delicious Food!

I've been trying to eat more pumpkin seeds to get more zinc in my diet. I keep forgetting to toss them in with my salads so yesterday I experimented with adding some to my smoothie. It worked out well, they blended in nicely with all the other ingredients. Between the hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds who needs protein powder!!
This is such an ugly picture of what was a really, really delicious meal! I had some pesto that needed to be used so I made a cashew pesto cream and tossed it with cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joe's. I had it with a butter leaf salad. This meal was so satisfying. Gluten free pasta has a certain firmness, especially bean pasta so it was so nice to have something soft and pillow-y. I've heard people say the cauliflower gnocchi is too dense, but to me potato gnocchi are dense, at least store bought. I really, really enjoy these!!
I just read the best article ever yesterday. Cover Girl cosmetics is now cruelty free! I'm sure a lot of their make-up might not be vegan, I don't know but they've stopped animal testing which is a huge, amazing start! You just know that other companies will follow, that's just how things go. I remember when one of the big fashion houses announced they were going fur free tons of other fashion designers followed. So this is amazing and in a world that seems to get crueler by the minute this is encouraging. Here is the article if you'd like to read all about it!
Etta rather ungracefully forced a cuddle with Kiki. She pretty much just plopped down on her. Kiki didn't mind though and they napped like this for hours!!



7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is amazing that Cover Girl is cruelty free! I was surprised that Ellen would be a spokesperson for a company that tests on animals but who knows. Anyway, your meals look great and I love your tips for sneaking in extra nutrients. I don't think your food looks ugly at all, the gnocchi meal looks delicious! Sweet cuddly girls! How adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by that too. Maybe she was working behind the scenes to convince them to change? I have to believe it was something like that.
      I love the cauliflower gnocchi so much. I hope they carry it long after the cauliflower craze is over.

      Delete
  2. I am always happy for a cat to come and plop down on me!

    I made a smoothie awhile ago that had pumpkin seeds in it... and some other stuff I can't remember... maybe it involved molasses and dried apricots... but it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too!
      I was surprised that the pumpkin seeds were a nice addition to the smoothie!

      Delete
  3. Putting pumpkin seeds in a smoothie is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eating them for the zinc, but they actually have a ton of protein as well!!

      Delete
  4. The cashew pesto cream sounds super delicious! Kitty cuddles, hooray!

    ReplyDelete