Thursday, November 1, 2018

Trying Some New Stuff

Since I've been brewing my own kombucha I find that I'm a lot pickier about store bought kombucha. This is a brand I recently discovered and it's definitely my favorite. It's light and crisp and the flavor is mild. It also isn't too sweet, vinegar-y or dry. It's Goldilock's perfect booch! So far I've tried ginger lemon, superberry and love. All three are delicious. And for anyone like me who can't handle the floaties, don't worry there are none!!
I've seen these little packages of pickles at 7-11 and Winco for awhile now. I always want to try them but for whatever reason never have up until yesterday. I was watching an Edyn Jacks video on YouTube, This is her channel if you want to check her out, she's a very relatable down to earth vegan and I love her! Anyway she was eating a packet of these and she just made them look so freaking amazing I just had to get some. Guys, if you love pickles you need to try these! They have a regular non spicy version too. These are the pickles pickles dream of becoming! Tart, crunchy and definitely spicy! I already want more!!!
Yesterday I was feeling grumpy and restricted on my elimination diet. I'm really missing tofu to be honest. Or a chip or piece of candy. I saw these and wanted to try them as a "healthy" cheat. They're soy and gluten free with not a single weird ingredient. They're made with yellow lentils and veggies like mushroom, sweet potato and carrot. I've had the veggie burgers from this company and enjoyed them.
I had some with some chunky Yukon gold oven fries. I dipped it all in a ketchup and spicy mustard combo. The bites are just okay. They definitely taste like vegetables, but they really don't have a ton of flavor if I'm being honest. The texture is denser than say a veggie burger or nugget. It was a let down for me because I guess I was hoping for something a little more decadent. I'm not supposed to be eating anything processed so this was kind of a treat that really didn't taste like a treat. Honestly I can't recommend or not recommend these. They're just meh. I won't buy them again because I like flavor and these are a little spendy to have to be dolled up in my opinion. I think they would be better in a sandwich like on the box. The fresh crisp bite of lettuce and cucumber plus a sauce would probably really help.





10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you are feeling deprived on your elimination diet. We'll have to think of some fun splurges that you can have that feel like cheats but won't make you feel like garbage. I'm glad you found your Goldilocks of kombucha and the pickle snack packs sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling deprive. It's funny because the first week I felt great, I was happy, I was feeling creative in the kitchen, and I swear I could feel a difference. Now on the second week I feel grumpy and deprived. And I definitely don't feel creative!! UUGGHH!
      The pickles are soooo good! If you see them you should try them, they have regular non spicy too. They also have pickled green beans which I haven't been able to fin, but I saw Edyn eating.

      Delete
  2. I must know, what is in the Love flavour of that kombucha?? What is the flavour of Love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it has Jasmine tea and lavender, rose and chamomile so it's very lightly floral. I love it so much!

      Delete
    2. I see. Flowers are the flavour of love. Noted!

      Delete
  3. I’m out of town several days a week now for work and-gasp!- have had to buy kombucha since I can’t bring my own. I tried one called baba’s brew that was hibiscus ginger flavor and really delicious.
    Pickles are my weakness!! I seriously can’t buy a jar cuz i will eat them until i have a tummy ache. The snack packet is a great idea though!
    Total bummer your treat item was only ho-hum. Why not make some veggie chips? Thin sliced baked beets, carrots, parnsips are all great baked into chips. Or maybe some coconut oil fudge would work as a nice treat to have on hand...? Dark chocolate is really low in sugar.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Baba;s brew, but that flavor sounds great. It's fun trying new flavors but now it kills me to buy kombucha!
      I do the same thing with pickles! A Jar never lasts me longer than two days!
      I just made some low sugar fudge, thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. The mushroom bites look so good I can imagine how disappointing it was to find that they weren't flavorful. I'm disappointed and I didn't even eat them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they looked like a mushroom falafel, and the ingredients sounded great. They were edible but definitely needed a sauce!

      Delete
  5. Nothing stinks more when something isn't as decadent as you expected! Like you want to treat yourself, you want it to be the best.

    ReplyDelete