Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Vegan Gluten and Soy Free Stuffed Mushrooms

I had an idea to try and make a stuffed mushroom. I found some beautiful stuffing mushrooms on sale the other day and so it seemed meant to be. These would be great little finger food for all the holiday parties this month. Or even football/sports parties! Or you can just have them with some pasta like I did! I stuffed them with a garlic-y cashew cheese plus the stems and garlic sauteed. They are savory and cheese-y and taste great hot or room temperature. Oh wait, I just tried a leftover shroom straight out of the fridge. Also tasty!
Before Baking!
Fresh Out of the Oven!
These are pretty easy to make. You can also stuff them ahead of time and bake them when you're ready!

                                                          Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
 Preheat oven to 350 F.
  • 12 Lg. White Mushrooms
  • 3/4 C. Raw Cashews Soaked for at least two hours
  • 1/2 to 3/4 C. Water
  • 4 Cloves Garlic, 1 whole 3 minced
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 Tsp. Pepper
  • 3/4 Tsp. Miso paste 
  • 1 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 1/2 Tsp. Tamari, Soy Sauce of Liquid Amino
To make the filling, remove the stems from the mushrooms. Dice them up along with three cloves of garlic. Saute in fat of choice or water saute. I used about a teaspoon of coconut oil. Saute over medium heat until slightly browned and soft, about five minutes. Add tamari, soy sauce or aminos and remove from heat and make your cashew cheese.
Add the soaked and drained cashews to a food processor. Add 1/2 cup water, your whole clove of garlic, salt and pepper, miso paste and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth. If you have to add more water start slowly. You don't want your cheese to be too runny. In the end I added 1/2 cup plus about three tablespoons.
Once the cheese is done, fold in your sauteed stems and garlic.
Gently wipe off the mushroom caps and place in a very lightly greased baking dish. Fill each cap with the cheese and place in the dish. Once all the little caps are filled, place a sheet of foil over the mushrooms and bake for twenty five to thirty minutes.
Since I have the Miyoko's smoked mozzarella that needs to be used very soon, I grated some and added it on top. But they really don't need extra cheese. Or if you wanted it I'm sure daiya mozzarella or Trader Joe's vegan shreds would be really, really tasty.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These look beautiful and I bet they taste delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I agree, I bet they would definitely be a great holiday appetizer or main.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was thinking the filling would be good in a portobello mushrooms too!

      Delete
  2. These sound so yummy. I love a cheesy stuffing. A lot of stuffed mushroom recipes seem fiddly, but this looks super simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely like recipes that don't require a lot of fuss!

      Delete
  3. These look so fun and the filling sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been forever since I've had stuffed mushrooms! We use to make them all the time, but with cheese and sausage. *sigh* My Mom is not very creative with reworking recipes so I haven't had her make it for me, plus I am too lazy to do it myself lol

    ReplyDelete