Friday, November 16, 2018

The End of the Elimination!

Today is the last day of this elimination diet I've been doing and I couldn't be happier! For anyone who doesn't know, I have hypothyroidism and I'm trying to heal my thyroid so I cut some things out of my diet to see what would happen. I cut out gluten, soy, green tea, sugar, and raw goitrogen vegetables like kale, spinach, and broccoli. I also tried meditating, my plan was to do it every day, but I did maybe three times a week which is still an improvement. Why is meditating so hard!!!!
To be honest I don't feel much different. I've watched videos of other people who eliminated certain foods for whatever reason and they always seem so enlightened and healed and changed. That hasn't been my experience and I feel like a failure. I'm half joking.
Moving forward I will be continuing to live gluten free, because every single article I read screamed to avoid gluten. It seems gluten is bad for all auto immune issues from what I've read. I will also continue to avoid goitrogen vegetables in their raw state. I read some articles saying avoid soy, and others saying have soy, so since I feel no differently I'm adding soy back in. The bottom line is that I'm on a budget and tofu is a great, inexpensive protein source that I truly enjoy so I'm going to continue to enjoy it. I'll have sugar again, but only in moderation and I'll continue to experiment with coconut sugar for baking.
So instead of amazing news and changes to report, I'll just show what I've eaten these last couple of days!
Frozen berries, banana, avocado, hemp seeds and maca powder

Not really food, but homemade booch!!! Look at the bubbles!
Keto fudge brownies
I found a few gluten free low to no sugar desserts on vegan keto websites! The fudge that I made was a keto recipe and so are these brownies! They're made with almond flour and I used coconut sugar and maple syrup for sweetener. They were pretty all right, although I actually think I prefer black bean brownies!
Red lentil and potato curry
Last night I had this delicious mushroom ramen bowl! I sauteed mushrooms in sesame oil and garlic and made a really savory broth with ginger, garlic, Bragg's liquid aminos and mushroom powder. Put it all together with these rice ramen noodles. Delicious!!!
She plays hard and sleeps hard!



7 comments:

  1. I am with you, the elimination diets seem to work for everyone but me. It's so frustrating but I'm glad you won't be depriving yourself of your favorite foods if they don't seem to have an effect on you. Everything looks delicious and OMG THAT RAMEN BOWL!!!! Yes please!! Sweet Kitty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not alone on the elimination diet. I've seen people talk about how life changing it's been, and I'm over depriving myself and feeling NO DIFFERENT! It really did make me feel like a failure!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a good plan to continue avoiding foods proven to be problematic. It seems everything i read about soy is really processed soy products that are to be minimized like faux meats and such, but fermented soy foods like tempeh and minimally processed soy like tofu are beneficial. And there’s something to be said for “everything in moderation”.
    That mushroom ramen sounds so amazing!! And yay for bubbly homemade booch, that’s the best :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think about soy too. Luckily for me, processed soy products are much more expensive than tofu and tempeh so I don't have to worry about that so much!
      The one thing I liked about eliminating tofu was that it forced me to think of other proteins. Normally I would have just had tofu with my ramen, the mushrooms were a nice change!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear the elimination diet didn't have the results you were hoping for, but that's great that you get to enjoy tofu again! Your smoothie looks so pretty and your mushroom ramen bowl looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are getting tofu back in your diet. Honestly, I really dislike when people put soy down. I think ANY food you could find something BAD about it. Sometimes those "bad" things can have positive effects on the body. I think people over simplify chemical reactions in our body. I am also glad you aren't TOTALLY getting rid of kale, spinach, and broccoli from you diet. They are really healthy foods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably most of the people who are talking a lot about elimination diets are the ones where it has worked for them. I bet there are a lot of other people who have tried and it didn't make any difference. It isn't a failing on your part, you can't be in control of these things! It would be easy if we could control these things. xx

    ReplyDelete