Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Daiya Cutting Board Shreds

Even though the cutting board shreds from daiya have been out for awhile, I've never tried them. I usually buy Trader Joe's vegan shreds, and when I do buy daiya it's been the original formula. I neeed some cheese for my cauliflower pizza the other night an I decided to finally try the cutting board formula.
The first thing I noticed is how different the shreds look. They're longer and thinner, and they aren't as damp and kind of mushy. It also didn't have such a strong daiya smell when I opened the bag.
Green chili enchiladas!
Daiya has always melted great, but this cheese actually gave me some pull and stretch which is really satisfying! It also has a thicker, fattier feel when it melts. It's really satisfying! I've compared the ingredients in their original and cutting board, and not a lot has changed other than the cutting board formula has potato protein, and while both have coconut and canola or safflower oil, in the original formula canola oil was listed before coconut and in the cutting board coconut oil is before canola/safflower oil. But it seems those small tweaks made a big difference.
I shared the enchiladas with some non vegan coworkers who gave them thumbs up, even the cheese. I'm really impressed with the cutting boar shreds, and I can't wait to try the cheddar!


11 comments:

  1. Those enchiladas. Damn, Hil. Just damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried these new ones, though I saw them at my friend's once and they seemed a bit oilier? Normally I buy FYH shreds, but I have some original Daiya in my freezer still. I will try the new ones when I have used it up. Interested to see if they have gotten rid of some of the gloop factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely feel oilier on my hands. Less moist, more oily. These are definitely less gloopy. I'm really impressed honestly. But they do have more coconut oil than the original so I hope they don't upset you.

      Delete
    2. Oooohhhh.... good to know. Thanks. I will probably just stick to FYH.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review, sounds great! I like Daiya because they are the most affordable and I don't mind the taste at all. If these are even better then yay! I'll have to pick some up and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really love these! I can't wait to try the cheddar! Have you ever tried Trader Joe's vegan shreds? They're actually my favorite budget wise and they melt really well.

      Delete
  4. I ALMOST got these the other day because Daiya was on sale. But this comes with slightly less cheese so I went with the tradional ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first store where the cutting board shreds were an option. Most stores around me only have the original. If I would have had the option and noticed the difference I wold have chosen the original too!!

      Delete
  5. I so rarely even buy vegan cheese it’s great to know this is what to buy! Those enchiladas are very WOW- and so awesome your coworkers enjoyed them too. It’s so sweet and generous of you to share with them
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your green chili enchiladas look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete