Sunday, July 12, 2020

Sentimental Meals

I used to work at a little family owned diner in Seattle and they had a vegetarian sandwich called the Baker's Veggie  that I used to get as my employee meal. It was whole wheat bread with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion and maybe one or two other veggies, and an herbed cream cheese. It was so simple, but so, so tasty. I really love a good sandwich!
Yesterday morning I tried to recreate that sandwich, and it was pretty close. it will never be the same with gluten free bread!
My version was lightly toasted gluten free bread, Treeline scallion cream cheese, avocado, tomato, cucumber, and clover sprouts with a shmear of vegan mayo on the other slice of bread. Messy and delicious!!!
I went to the Asian market for a few things after breakfast. The last time I went, I had started the Mary's mini and had to pass up all the tofu!! Not this time!
Masaman, red and yellow curry paste,teriyaki tofu cutlet, Thai basil, medium tofu, fried tofu, yellow kiwi, frozen Emerald tofu, coconut cream, lemongrass, tofu pouches for inari(!!), rice noodles, potato starch crackers, sriracha

I'm most excited about yellow curry paste that's vegan, and also the tofu pouches!! I love inari sushi!
I bought some golden kiwi at Sprouts, which is the smaller kiwi on the right, the much larger kiwi on the left is from the Asian market! The larger kiwi is also much sweeter, juicier and tastier!! Same sticker too!
Breakfast was inspired by Seattle, and so was my dinner! Tom Yum soup. The first time I ever had this soup was of course in Seattle. This was so comforting and gave me all the feels. I used this recipe, with a few changes. I didn't have tomatoes or shitake mushrooms so I left those out, and I don't have an herbal infuser so I just processed the lemongrass to make kind of a paste. The lime juice at the end makes it!! I will definitely make this again!



4 comments:

  1. Sometimes we approximate what we want and it still fills the cravings. Glad that worked out for you this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to get that nostalgic feeling for eating out meals but at home. And yay for tofu! Tofu all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for tofu! Your Tom Yum soup looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, Bubba is way too cute looking up at your sandwich! <3

      Delete