Monday, April 6, 2020

Tofu Peanut-y Stew

In these very weird, scary and sad times, my stomach has been upset pretty much daily. My appetite also changes daily. Some days I can eat more than others. I also find myself craving soothing comfort foods. Comfort food has changed for me over the years, it used to be more junky foods, but now it's more foods that are comforting in a healing way. Lentils, tofu and rice have really been what my body craves and can handle. Potatoes fit in that category too, but they have been difficult to come by these days.
Yesterday was yet ANOTHER grey, rainy kind of stormy day, so I decided to make my version of Maafe, or peanut stew. I say my version because the first time I made it I followed a recipe, and now I've made it so many times I have my own version, which other than tomato and peanut butter is probably very different from how they make it in West Africa.
I wrote down the recipe this time and thought I would share. I know I'm not alone in wanting soothing, comforting food. And your kitchen will smell amazing, or if you're like me in a small apartment your whole place will smell amazing!


                                                           Peanut-y Tofu Stew
  • 1 14 to 16 Oz. Package of Tofu
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 Med. to Lg. Onion,Minced
  • 1 2 Inch Piece of Ginger, Minced ( Also you can use 1/4 to 1/2 Tsp. Ground Dried Ginger)
  • 3 Small to Medium Russet Potatoes Cubed 
  • 1/2 Cup Red Lentils
  • 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt and Pepper
  • 1/4 to 1/2 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
  • 3 T. Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 C. Peanut Butter
  • 1 T. Tamari, Soy Sauce or Soy Sauce Substitute
  • 2 Tsp. Sriracha
  • 3 to 4 Cups Water
First prepare the tofu by draining it, cubing it and bake it at 400 degrees for about twenty minutes. You want it to be pretty browned I think it makes for a nicer texture in the stew, and I feel like it absorbs more flavor.
While your tofu is baking you can make the stew. Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in a little oil on medium heat for four or five minutes, and add the salt, pepper, turmeric and crushed red pepper. Next add the tomato paste and saute for about two or three more minutes. Next add the potatoes, lentils and peanut butter. Slowly stir in three cups of water, stir to combine everything and to help the peanut butter melt into the broth. Bring to a boil, and then turn to a simmer. Once the tofu is baked to your liking, add it to the stew along with the soy sauce and sriracha. Simmer for about thirty minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the lentils have pretty much become one with the broth.
Add the additional cup of water if needed, and depending on how thick or thin you want your stew.
Serve with rice, cous cous or quinoa, or no grains at all!!


Hi, my name is Kiki an although I look very innocent here, I was a very mean girl and chased and punched Bubba all day yesterday! But don't I  look sweet?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kiki! You do look sweet but there is some mischief behind those eyes. I'm sorry that you have had a upset tummy, I know the stress is so hard to take right now. I hope that you will feel better soon and find some peace and comfort. This recipe sounds delicious, I'll definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kiki, how could such a sweet little face do such things? You are very good at playing innocent.
    That stew looks delicious. There is something about combining peanut butter and tomatoes that just is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apartment would definitely smell amazing with that amazing meal! Oddly enough, potatoes seem to be coming back here, but tofu is all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely have to try your recipe someday; it sounds like such an incredibly comforting meal!
    Oh Kiki, you do look quite innocent... for such a rambunctious little kitty!

    ReplyDelete