Thursday, April 16, 2020

Quarantine Eats

I am so late to the party with this bouillon base. I almost never use stock when I'm making soup. It seems pointless to buy a big box of stock for one cup, and then it sits in my fridge stressing me out. I picked this up at a great price when we first started social distancing, thinking it could come in handy.
I've used it a few times now, and man does it make a difference! I've used it in soups, and I also cooked some dried black beans the other day and I put a little teaspoon in the cooking water along with some garlic powder and man, those are some good beans!
I used a little in my batch of kitchari I made this week for breakfast. Since anxiety has been wreaking havoc on my stomach, I find starting the day with kitchari or miso soup really helps.
I had a little bit of black bean sauce left, so I mixed that with some tamari, hoisin and a little of the very spicy schezwan sauce to make a delicious sauce for some rice noodles and tofu. Served with some romaine in a sesame vinaigrette.
Gluten free quesadillas with some of the garlic-y black beans, refried beans, avocado and nooch. Who needs cheese?
Gochujang stew with leftover rice, rice cakes, enoki mushrooms, and a few slices of that delicious frozen tofu from the Asian market. Yesterday was a cool, rainy day and this was the perfect dinner!
Here are Roxy and Etta kind of fighting for space on the beloved pink sweater! That thing is just a part of my bed now!







4 comments:

  1. Yes, that soup base is the best! I especially love their "no chicken" style veggie broth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bouillon base!! They also make a great vegan chicken one (but the jar looks similar to the real chicken one, so I've accidentally purchased the wrong one before!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh,the pink sweater,still beloved.
    I use stock powders here, as I know what you mean about buying liquid stock that you need to use up. But I wish we had something like the Better Than Boillon base pastes, they seem like they would give better flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rice noodles and tofu bowl looks amazing! Roxy has such beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete