Saturday, March 31, 2018

Potato Queso and Tofu Ranch

I picked up some Red Robin seasoning blend somewhere on clearance and decided I needed to use it on some oven fries. The only problem is that I really wanted some vegan ranch to go with them and I have none. But I did have a block of extra firm tofu from before the potato diet. So, I blended about half of the block with a small amount of water, lemon juice and some dried herbs like dill and parsley. I also added some garlic and onion power and a little nooch. I've tried to make ranch in the past and it's never really ended well for me. But this was pretty great in both flavor and texture. And of course I didn't write down what I did!!
These were my delicious oven fries with my ranch and also some Carolina gold BBQ sauce from Trader Joe's. This dinner was so satisfying and delicious!! It tasted junky when it was really healthy. And as an added benefit this ranch is full of protein!
I also made a batch of potato queso because tonight when I get home from work I'm going to try totchos for the first time! You would think with all of the potatoes I eat I would have had them by now. I'm super excited to try them, an will be dreaming of them all night at work!
What a horrible picture! After I made it yesterday I forgot to take a picture and I guess the morning light isn't really as nice as I would have liked. Anyway this is really tasty and I promise it doesn't taste like vegetables!


                                                                 Easy Potato Queso 
  • 2 C. Peeled Cubed Potato
  • 1/2 Carrot Chopped
  • 1/2 Roasted Jalapeno
  • 1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast
  • 2 T. Tahini
  • 1/2  Tsp. Salt and Pepper
  • 1/4 C. plus 1 T. Salsa
  • 1/4 to 1/2 C. Cooking Water
Boil your potato and carrot until very soft, about twenty five minutes. Reserve about one cup of the cooking water and drain. Once drained, throw in your blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Start with one fourth cup of the water and a more as needed to get the consistency you want. When I don't use salsa I usually need one half cup of water, with salsa it's more like one fourth.
Try not to eat it all with a spoon!
This is the very bare bones recipe. You can add more or less jalapeno, sometimes I add some fresh diced once it's blended, or also green onion. It's really great with chips, or on burritos which is one of my favorite ways to have this. I really love it and make it at least once a week, even when I'm not on potato island!
I also have made it with one can of fire roasted chilis. the small can. I think those are just as good, I just roasted a jalapeno. Since I have no recycling at my apartment it's just an easy swap to cut down on waste.
Everyone loves the ugly pink/salmon sweater, but Kanye loves it the most of all. Her favorite is when housekeeping has come in and straightened and fluffed it. It really makes a difference!






7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the potato queso recipe! I have most of those ingredients, so I should make it soon! I picked up a Just Thousand dressing yesterday, and almost picked up the Just Ranch...but it's so expensive! I need it to go on sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Just Ranch is seriously my favorite dressing. As a non vegan I never liked ranch, but man the Just Ranch really is a special treat. My ranch is nowhere as good, but a lot more affordable and still tasty!
      I hope it goes on sale soon!

      Delete
  2. I don’t eat potatoes very often but now I really want some oven fries!! Those look totally fantastic! I’ve never dipped them in bbq sauce before but i have some on hand so this will certainly happen in the next few days :))
    The pink sweater love is hysterical.....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ranch sounds like a great combination with the BBQ sauce for those oven fries! I'll have to try your potato queso sometime! Kanye looks so comfy & relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ranch and BBQ sauce sounds like such a great combination.
    I look forward to seeing your totchos!

    The sweater really does go with Kanye's colouring very well.

    ReplyDelete