Friday, March 16, 2018

Look at Me Eating Local

I've used Gluten Free Heaven brownie mix a few times and really enjoyed it. And I always feel like I get a few extra hipster points for eating local. The company is in a town called Pleasant Grove Utah which is under an hour away from SLC. I've only seen it at the store I work at though. Anyway they know their gluten free stuff!
I made a pizza with Carolina BBQ sauce as the base, with white beans, vegan shreds, red onion and sliced baby sweet peppers. I made some coleslaw on the side because coleslaw and BBQ right?
The mix is super easy to make and work with. It comes with a yeast packet which you mix with some warm plant milk. You then just add the wet to the dry, and knead for a few minutes, let the dough rise for thirty and then roll it out on your pan. The dough is a little sticky even after resting/rising but because there is no gluten it's much easier to clean. Taste wise I would say it's pretty dang similar to Bob's Red Mill. The crust holds up well, even to a lot of toppings which I always pile on more than I should.
Yesterday was a cool, rainy day so that of course meant lots of snuggling. Afro's favorite ottoman is her sister Etta!



10 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Barbecue sauce as a sauce base??? Sounds great!
    And Afro and Etta are just darling kitty sisters-- sweet fam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time trying BBQ sauce an I still prefer tomato sauce it was still pretty good!

      Delete
  2. Yum, that pizza looks super good! Kitty toes! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty toes are one of my favorite things ever!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh that pizza sounds so good! I'm not even a BBQ person and I want a slice! I definitely have to keep that in mind. Hooray for snuggly kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pizza was so good! It was my first time trying a BBQ based pizza. I tend to stick to the traditional!

      Delete
  4. mmm... glad that dough worked out well. It looks so tasty. I might make a BBQ pizza soon. So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBQ pizza was so good, especially with the coleslaw. I ended up putting the coleslaw on my pizza!

      Delete
  5. I always get excited about buying a local product. It equals out all those imported US products that I buy, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete