Friday, March 23, 2018

A Few of My Favorite Things

I made another batch of potato queso. I made some basic brown rice and pinto bean burritos and smothered them with this sauce. It was totally worth the gluten cheat! I usually use canned fire roasted green chiles but in the interest of less waste I used a fresh jalapeno. I just boiled half of the jalapeno with the potato and carrot, and added the other half fresh and minced after I  blended it all.
I've made many potato cheese sauces. I think it was about two years ago when I first saw the idea on BuzzFeed. I've made potato cheese sauces with and without cashews or other nuts, I've used more and less veg and so on and so forth. I feel like I'm pretty close to making the perfect for me sauce. I'm going to try roasting the jalapeno next time to see what that brings to the mix. I think the flavor will be better than just boiling the jalapeno. There are a million recipes online, and when I roast the jalapeno then I feel it will be time to add mine to the mix. I can tell you a few things I've learned along the way. The most important is tahini. I don't know what it is, but tahini is the glue that holds this sauce together. Without it it just tastes like some veg and spices blended together. There's something about the tahini's bitterness an creaminess that makes this sauce become cheese! The second is use only potatoes, and either one small or half of one large carrot. No more than that and no onion. The carrot is only to provide color, not flavor. If you add too much carrot and onion, your sauce will taste too vegetable-y. And if you use tahini which you most definitely should, you don't need to use nuts which makes this a very inexpensive sauce to make. It really is that classic nacho cheese sauce texture.
I made the most basic of burritos with brown rice, pinto beans and some vegan shreds, and I made them the belle of the ball by smothering them in this sauce. I baked them for maybe fiftenn minutes to get the shreds to melt.
Although it isn't summer yet, I've been celebrating spring with these lime floes bars from Trader Joe's. If you like limeade, you will love these. They are tart and refreshing. When I was a kid and my mom would have me make lemon or limeade from concentrate, I would always sneak a spoonful of the concentrate before mixing so these are right up my alley! These are especially great after a hot day. Expect to see these a lot during the summer!
Joan saw me coming in for a picture so she posed extra cute! She and Kanye both will turn the cute on high volume when they see me going in for a picture. Such little tofurky hams!





10 comments:

  1. Jeez - you're really teasing us with this recipe, Hil. I actually printed out another recipe last Friday with the intention of making some over the weekend and just never got around to it. But it didn't have any tahini! And, just reading about it, I'm sure you're right - it makes sense that it would make all the difference. So...now I'm stuck out here in cyberland waiting for your recipe. Go roast those jalapenos, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise this week I'll try it with roasted jalapeno!Tahini has really become as important as potatoes for the cheese.

      Delete
  2. Every time I see this, I am reminded that I need to make it! I once tried a nooch based cheez sauce from the Happy Herbivore cookbook and didn't love it. I haven't tried any other recipe, so I'll have to go this route!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how much I love this sauce. When I first tried it with no tahini and more carrot and onion I wasn't crazy about it. But now that I've added tahini and taken out some of the veg I can't stop eating it!

      Delete
  3. Yum! That seriously looks like such an incredible meal! Joan is so adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so delicious! Totally worth having some gluten!

      Delete
  4. I'm with everyone else, that cheese sauce looks seriously delicious and I have to try it! I bet it will be delicious with the roasted jalapeƱo too! I love the Lime Fruit Floes and sweet Joan and her floof! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lime fruit floes are just so amazing. Those and the fruit frenzy are my favorite in the summer!

      Delete
  5. I love it when kitties cover their eyes.
    Looking forward to seeing your cheese sauce recipe, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete