Thursday, May 30, 2019

Sticking With the Basics

It's been so rainy in SLC this winter and spring I'm losing my mind. I swear it's rained more in the past month than it has the whole time I've lived here. Given how dry it is here I know we need it, and I know in the middle of the summer I'm going to wish for grey skies and rain, but for right now it has me in a funk!! I was hoping to get creative in the kitchen this week, but that just hasn't happened. I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and hopefully get a cookbook that helps shake me up a little. I got a cookbook a few weeks ago at the library but it didn't really inspire me. It's mostly just sitting on my coffee table collecting dust!
I've been sticking to my favorites for the most part. Curries and rice bowls with peanut sauce. This bowl is super basic, just romaine, tofu and brown Jasmine rice with a spicy peanut sauce. I never get bored of this dish!
Why am I so blurry???
Last night I made some potato wedges seasoned with this BBQ rub seasoning I found in the bulk section. It tastes so much better on potatoes than what I'm sure it was made for! I also made some spicy soy curls. Served with some cucumber and homemade ranch. I have a void in my life since I can't find Just Ranch anywhere. It seems that every store has wiped all traces of Just Mayo and Just Ranch from their shelves, but yet I'm starting to see Just Egg popping up everywhere. Are they just super focused on the egg right now? I'm not sure but I have zero interest in the egg, I just want the ranch!!!
I found these at Winco and had to try them! I have never had mango with chili and lime, or any of those mango candies with chili, but I've always wanted to try. This box has mango, pineapple and lime, all with a little heat! Last night I tried a lime pop and it was pretty tasty. I think they might be exaggerating a little bit when they say spicy, I wouldn't call them spicy but I would call them delicious! The lime flavor was tart and limey just like I like, with a tiny amount of heat in the background. I think the mango will probably be my favorite!



4 comments:

  1. Read about the missing vegan mayo conspiracy >>> "It seems that every store has wiped all traces of Just Mayo and Just Ranch from their shelves..."

    https://www.gretchensveganbakery.com/where-has-all-the-mayo-gone-mayo-4-homemade-vegan-mayonnaise-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yum! Your staple meals look so delicious, I'd definitely stick to these meals too! The popsicles sound so interesting!! What cool flavors! I like the fire and ice idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rainy days definitely call for favourite comfort foods.
    The ice blocks sound fun! Though I suspect I would find them spicy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god! I've noticed the same thing too! Wegman's stopped carrying it, and I was pretty suspicious because they still have Just Eggs. I was going to hoof it (actually it is closer to me than Wegman's XD) to ShopRite and see if they still carry it. I hope so! It was the most affordable and best tasting!

    ReplyDelete