Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Not So Guilty Pleasure

I have a confession to make. I love Rachael Ray. I've loved her for YEARS, back when she first started on Food Network. I loved her cheerful attitude. I was vegetarian when I discovered her, and although she does cook with a lot of meat, she's always been veg friendly so it was easy to make some swaps.
I remember when I mentioned an old boyfriend who hated her, I was surprised that a lot of people commented that they agreed with him! I guess she isn't for everybody, and some of her food puns can be a bit much, but overall I still love her cheerful attitude.
I haven't owned a TV in years so I don't watch her on the regular, but when I'm feeling blue I do find clips on YouTube! She has nine million shows on the food network so there's an endless supply of choices!
Recently I watched her make a sloppy Joe pasta bake, and I knew that I had to veganize it! She just mixed sloppy Joe's with some cooked pasta and cheddar cheese and baked it for a little bit. Super easy to veganize!!
One of my favorite recipes ever is the Snobby Joe's from Veganomicon. I have the recipe memorized I've made it so much! I don't add green or yellow pepper because bell peppers should NEVER be cooked in my opinion. Unless they're blended. Anyway, I just made a batch of Snobby Joe's, but made them a little more soupy than I normally would.
I tossed this mixture with some cooked brown rice rotini, added a little Violife cheddar cheese and baked for about twenty minutes. It's everything I dreamed it would be!
I topped my bowl with nooch and Cholula. It's not a very pretty meal, but it tastes so amazing! It's also very budget friendly, I have a lot of leftovers, and the whole dish was under two dollars to make. I love lentils!




10 comments:

  1. Au contraire, Hil, that looks really good! Looks like you're getting your cooking mojo back. Lentils are the best, I must agree.

    My husband would agree with you about bell peppers. He hates them cooked but will gladly munch them up raw. What's with that? Is that a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lentils are the best. They've gotten me through some times!!
      Well I see your husband has good taste. I love them raw, but there's just something about the texture cooked that I just cannot handle!!

      Delete
  2. Mmm... that sounds good. And a great way to use leftovers too! I should double a sloppy joe recipe next time I make it.

    Yeah, I am not a Rachael fan. I think she is just too bubbly-cutesy? But then again I do love the idea that she spread of quick easy weeknight food as a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely make this, I feel like your son would probably love it because it's kind of sweet and plus noodles.
      See I find her bubbliness comforting! Like it's a nice break away from the harsh real world.

      Delete
  3. That definitely looks really good and what a great price to make such a delicious meal! Budget friendly, delicious meals are the best. I have to agree, you are definitely getting your mojo back!

    Sadly I have to agree that Rachael Ray is not my favorite. I like her concept but she was definitely not a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Of course I'm making something with curry tonight so I guess I'm not all the way rut! Ha!

      Delete
  4. Ah, I love Rachel Ray too! And that pasta bake sounds delicious. I'd never think to add sloppy joe mix to pasta!! Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not alone!! I love her attitude and she has some great kitchen tips!
      I would have never thought of it either, and it's soooo good!!!

      Delete
  5. Oooohhh... getting your mojo back in an excellent way! That looks so good. I don't know much about Rachel Ray, so I cannot comment. But love what you love and to heck with anyone who says otherwise. They can just do something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get my mojo back. But I'm doing something with curry tonight so it's going to be a slow journey, Ha!!

      Delete