Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Peanut Butter All Day!


I was craving this peanut stew I used to make years ago. I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I made it so often I had it memorized! It had black beans, sweet potatoes, and lots of peanut butter. I made it at least once a week! I couldn't find that exact recipe but I found this one and used it as a guide. I changed some things of course. I used powdered ginger instead of fresh, and added turmeric, mushroom powder and tamari. An lots of crushed red pepper. I also used kale, and added red lentils because a soup or stew without beans is preposterous! I also had a little bit of tofu that needed to be used, so I baked that off and threw it in the mix. And a squeeze of lime at the end is essential in my opinion because it's very, very rich. This hit the spot on a cool rainy night. Very comforting.
I guess it was a peanut butter kind of day, because earlier when I ran to Winco for a few things, I spied something new to me!
I remember not long after Haagen Dazs introduced their vegan ice cream they released vegan ice cream bars. Until now I haven't seen the bars anywhere. I spotted them at Winco though, and at $3.99 a box I knew I'd never see them cheaper than that!
Guys, these things are amazing. The ice cream has a nice peanut butter flavor with generous fudge swirls, and the chocolate coating is thick enough that it doesn't fall apart when you bite it. I'm in love, and yes I would marry these things. If you gave one of these to a non vegan, there is no way they would ever guess it's vegan!! I can't believe how far vegan snacks, ice cream, cheese and meat alternatives have come!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh look at all of the amazing peanut butter things! I've never even heard of those bars before, that sounds so delicious! I'm not a huge peanut butter fan in the sense that I don't crave it often but when I am craving it those would be delicious! The peanut stew looks really amazing too!! I also have to agree, vegan food has come so far… it's such a great time to be vegan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't crave peanut butter often as in peanut butter sandwiches, but I definitely always crave peanut sauce and of course chocolate and peanut butter is a classic combo!!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I’ve been making a similar stew every winter since forever- my version i use just 1/3 peanut butter, the all natural kind, and black beans and sweet potatoes and kale. So hearty and delicious! I think i have a container of it in the freezer actually.....
    I haven’t seen any of the vegan haagen dazs bars! Those sound INSANE!! Wow.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peanut stew I used to make had sweet potatoes and black beans in it too. I thought it was weird to have no beans in this one so that's why I used the red lentils!!!
      The Haagen dazs bars really are insane. Like no one ever would guess they're vegan!!

      Delete
  3. Peanut butter is life! Those ice creams look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really, really amazing. Especially for a non vegan company. I'm really impressed!!

      Delete