Thursday, April 11, 2019

Trying Some Thangs!

I always look at these edamame puffs when I'm at Sprouts. I've put them in and then taken them out of my basket so many times! They're pretty pricey as a lot of this stuff is, almost five dollars for a small bag. But last week the BBQ were on a discontinued sale so I finally got to try them!
They're similar to the snappea crisps that are so dang delicious. They're a little denser, probably less processed because they have a decent amount of protein per serving. The BBQ flavor was pretty disappointing. Smoky, but not a lot of other flavors. I would have been upset if I splurged on these at full price. I feel very meh about these. Glad I got to try them, and SUPER glad I didn't pay full price!!
I experimented with a chipotle sweet potato cheese sauce the other day. I used a sweet and one small russet potato, and added sunflower seeds, nooch and chipotle salsa. I did write down the recipe, but I need to experiment some more. It was still pretty sweet. I made a sweet potato cheese sauce that I liked awhile ago, but I think I added miso which helped offset the sweet.I'm always trying to find ways to sneak more sweet potato in my diet so I'll definitely continue to work on this recipe!
I used the sauce to make some gluten free mac and cheese with black beans. I think chipotle, black beans and sweet potatoes go really well together. I had some nooch-y baked tofu and sauerkraut on the side. Delicious!




12 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love snapea crisps so those sound like they would be great. It's too bad the BBQ flavor was disappointing but at least you didn't pay full price! That is why it's great to find these things on sale to try for the first time! The cheese sauce looks great and that mac n cheese looks so creamy and amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to try the original flavor, but it's full price. I'll just stick to snapea crisps!

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite simple weeknight meals is roasted sweet potatoes (as you know, not really a fan but I force myself to eat them), roasted broccoli florets and black beans over brown rice. I liberally cover mine with Frank's hot sauce while my husband prefers his au naturel. But, you're right - sweet potatoes and black beans is a classic combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed that you make yourself eat them in their natural form! I always have to blend them to get rid of the texture!
      If you have any chipotle hot sauce you should try that.The three are definitely best friends!

      Delete
  3. That pasta dish sounds super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was a delicious way to eat a sweet potato!!

      Delete
  4. I guess thanks to small nyc stores I haven’t seen those puffs before! I love puffy snacks like that but don’t buy them much because i can eat a bag and still be hungry....
    The sweet potato cheese sauce might be better with an asian white sweet potato, or maybe just use half a regular sweet potato.
    Have you ever made sauerkraut? It’s literally cabbage and salt, then a week or so to ferment- for $2 or so you could have it daily for a month! Noochy tofu is the best!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with an Asian sweet potato is the color. I wanted the bright orange color. But you're right, probably hafl along with some miso will do.
      I have never made sauerkraut, but I just watched someone make some on YouTube and I'm shocked that's it's just cabbabge and salt! And the funniest thing is that she made garlic dill sauerkraut which is the flavor I bought!! I think I might try to make some this weekend!!

      Delete
  5. That looks like an excellent mac and cheese.
    BBQ flavour can either be really good, or so underwhelming. Too smoky/salty/spicy/sweet, there are so many ways they can much it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true about BBQ! The good is REALLY goo, and the bad can be really bad! This was just way too smoky for my taste. I also don't like too sweet BBQ.

      Delete
  6. Your bowl looks super delicious! I don't think I've ever added black beans to mac & cheese, but it sounds like it would be a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!Whenever I make any kind of spicy/taco style mac and cheese I like to add black beans. It tastes great and gives you extra fiber and protein!

      Delete