Tuesday, April 23, 2019

New and Old

This is my first attempt at homemade sauerkraut! I made it Sunday, and so in two weeks I should have some tangy probiotic goodness. I kept it simple this time and only used salt, but once I get the hang of it I will experiment with other seasonings. Once again, thanks Ttrockwwod for the suggestion. This is so much more budget friendly than store bought, and it's really super easy. You really just shred your cabbage, salt it, and put it in a Mason jar.
More taco potatoes! I made the filling with black beans, corn, soy curls and a bit of leftover tofu. I seasoned it with taco seasoning from Trader Joe's. Served with a green salad this is everything I could want in a meal!
Last night I had another rice and veggie bowl with tofu and spicy peanut sauce. For veggies I used Romaine, cucumber and cilantro. I love this meal because you get lots of veggies, and the warm rice and tofu make it filling and also comforting. I also love a meal with different temperatures and textures.
Happy Tuesday!



7 comments:

  1. Yay for homemade kraut! I'm sure it will be great, it's such a good idea to DIY it and save some money! The potatoes look so incredible, I need more stuffed potatoes in my life! The rice bowl looks freaking incredible, how have I not made peanut sauce yet?! I need it in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turns out! Because the good, raw sauerkraut at stores is so freaking expensive! I can't wait to experiment with different flavors and seasonings!!
      Peanut sauce is LIFE!! Sometimes I just have some on a plain bowl of rice!

      Delete
  2. I almost made my own sauerkraut last winter, but chickened out. Do you have to use cheesecloth or something ventilated to lid the jar or is it okay with a solid top? If yours comes out okay, maybe I'll brave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to try for awhile, but I was scared too. I guess I figured cabbage is so cheap, what's the worst that happens? I'm out a dollar. The recipes I saw just called for a jar with a tight lid. And you have to open the jar once a day to let it "burp".
      I will definitely let you know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. I am a big fermentation nerd, so pretty much what happens is that naturally there is a bacteria on the cabbage (and any produce really). You want to put the cabbage in salty water because the bacteria loves it, but the other ones you don't want hate it and will die.

      The bacteria will release some CO2 so you want something breathable- like a cheese cloth or coffee filter or anything that will keep bugs out. There are cool tops that release the CO2 but won't let any other air in, which is really handy because of my next tip-

      WATCH OUT FOR BACTERIA AND MOLD ON THE TOP! The surface of the water might culture some bacteria because you know, air. I just keep a lid on loosely and once or twice a day I tighten it and just give a good shake. You can also make sure something heavy is keeping the cabbage or veggie is submerged and you can skim off any bad growth.

      It is a REALLY safe method, and I recommend you try it if you tried other ferments like wine, beer, kombucha, yogurt etc.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the sauerkraut, and your rice and veggie bowl looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super keen to try and make kraut myself, but terrified of poisoning everyone with it. I'm sure I won't, but I just fear it. So I love seeing other people make it. Eventually I'll have the confidence to try it!

    ReplyDelete