Saturday, April 20, 2019

Saturday Haul!

I got some groceries yesterday, and I managed to get to Trader Joe's early enough that I didn't lose my mind! I went to the trinity, Sprouts, Natural Grocers and Trader Joe's. It felt great to be back on my normal routine.
Bulk brown and Jasmine rice, rasperry pops!!!,potatoes, grapefruit,avocado, garbanzo bean flour, bulk spices, gluten free fried onions, vegan greens and protein powder
The gluten free fried onions are so random, but they just jumped out at me, and they were on sale so I had to get them. I didn't even know gluten free fried onions existed!
You guys. These bars are my new obsession. Raspberries are one of my top three favorite fruits ever. And these bars are strong on the delicious raspberry flavor. They have other flavors as well, and they're $2.49 for a box of four which is a pretty decent deal for the quality. Really, really delicious!
I saw this new to me vegan yogurt and I always want to try new vegan yogurts, but forgive me I was too busy having a heart attack over the price. Yes, you see that correctly. It is $3.99 for a single tiny container. I'm actually offended by some of the prices of vegan stuff. I know there are bougie non vegan foods that are super expensive too, but it just seems to be a real problem with vegan and gluten free foods.
Nag Champa,Epsom salts, soy curls, booch,chapstick and fruit enzyme face mask

Lemons, nooch, flaxmeal,romaine,sweet potato crackers,carrots,frozen strawberries and blueberries, Persian cucumbers, tofu, coconut milk, red and yellow onion,red and green lentils,conditioner

My haul pictures seem to always have to include some part of a kitty or two. When I line up my groceries for a picture, they just have to snoopervise and be all up in the mix!
Last night I made something I haven't had in awhile, Bibimbap! I used shredded Romaine, cucumbers and green onion for the veggies and baked tofu as the "egg". When it's all mixe together with the gochujang sauce it's total food heaven.


7 comments:

  1. Yeah, $4 for 5oz of vegan yogurt is obscene and absolutely perpetuates the myth that vegan food is too expensive. UGH.
    Those raspberry bars sound like a great find! That bibimbap looks fantastic, I haven’t had any in a long time. My sister is visiting next week and we’re going to korean, but i like to order stuff I can’t/won’t make at home. My nephew will probably get the bibimbap, he loves it thanks to me (and he loves kimchi! Haha!)
    Hope the rest of your weekend is relaxing :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way at a restaurant, I only want to order something I can't make myself. It seems silly to pay for something I can easily whip up myself!
      I am so irritated by the price of that yogurt! I feel offended!
      I picked up a cabbage yesterday to make my own sauerkraut!! I'm excited!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm.... the rice bowl looks yummy. Maybe I should do that sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good kitties, snoopervising to make sure everything is on the up and up!

    You would be shocked at the prices of vegan stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG $4 for yogurt?!?!?! That is a very hard pass for me. Great hauls and the raspberry bars sound so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Long time reader, first time commenter. I am usually content to read your posts, get a few good food ideas, admire the pictures of your cute cats, then go about my day. However, I didn’t want you to miss out on some of the BEST vegan yogurt I have ever found. No grit, no weird aftertaste, no watery texture of sadness.

    Did you notice that the culina is packaged in a reusable (dishwasher/oven safe) clay pot? I just discovered the new name/design at my local JuiceLand this week, so your post is very timely. I have loved this company since they were a local farmer’s market stand called Kokonut, and I was so excited to see their new design and waste-free packaging! The metal lid goes into recycling, the paper wrap is composted (after taking a picture of the recipe inside), and the containers are washed and decorating my windowsill while waiting for their next adventure (we’re baking cupcakes once we have a few more). Even my dairy-loving friend, who shuns most vegan yogurt, said: “this is actually good!”

    Is this yogurt a daily part of my diet? No, but for a nice dessert/snack treat that comes with a reusable pot, $4 is a pretty darn good deal in my book. I have not seen other good brands of yogurt with these fun floral flavors. The ingredient list is short, and their texture is hands down the closest I can find to dairy Greek yogurt. There are many, many vegan snacks I find to be overpriced and disappointing, but this one is a great example of you get what you pay for. Please give them a try before knocking them. I recommend the vanilla or strawberry rose for beginners, but my favorite is the blueberry lavender.

    Disclaimer: I live in Austin. Food is expensive here, in part due to the quality and wide variety of options. Maybe I’ve become used to prices that seem high to the rest of the country, but $4 to support a local business AND get a delicious snack with bonus cookware is not unreasonable to me.

    I’m not associated with Kokonut/culina, but I am proud to see their products reaching a bigger market, because I think they are awesome : )

    Thanks for sharing your haul and your honest feedback. Please keep up the great meals and great posts (and pics of cute cats)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment!
      I did notice that the container was reusuable which is a huge plus. One of the reasons I don;t buy yogurt very often is the waste.
      But I still would not buy it based on the price.
      I'm on a tight budget, and four dollars can buy a lot of lentils, potatoes or tofu. And if I wanted to splurge on something, four dollars can go a lot farther than one tiny container of yogurt. And I am for promoting veganism to everyone on any budget and the cost just isn't reasonable. But that's just my opinion, evryone has a different budget, and different ideas of what is reasonable to pay for food.
      I am glad that it is at least tasty. And what a great iea to make cupcakes in the containers!!

      Delete