Sunday, October 7, 2018

Mountains, Hummus and Soup, plus Cuddles!


I applied for a library aide job(!!!!) and before you're even considered for an interview you have to take a locator test and find a bunch of super random books and a few CD's. You turn in the test to the reception on the 5th floor which I never really knew existed. They have a rooftop are with tables and this amazing view!! I swear being surrounded by mountains always amazes me!
Years ago I read somewhere that peeling the skin off cooked chickpeas makes for the creamiest hummus you could ever imagine. I've heard several other people mention it since then and I've always been curious, but honestly it seems like such a tedious task I've never tried it myself. I don't know what got into me yesterday, but I decided to give it a try. I peeled half a can of chickpeas, and left the other half dressed. I made two small batches of hummus and wow, peeling those little buggers
makes a huge difference! The hummus is so silky and smooth I almost can't believe it's hummus!
The bowl on the right is the peeled hummus. I want to try and make a French onion hummus dip because it's so light and silky almost like sour cream. Peeling chickpeas is totally tedious, but if I make hummus for a special occasion I would definitely peel them just to really serve standout hummus, but if I'm just making hummus for a quick snack I won't put myself through that.
Tofu gochujang stew with rice cakes
kitchari with tofu croutons
Fall is definitely here in SLC. It's been cool and mostly rainy for ays now. The sun came out for awhile Friday afternoon, and then back to thunder and lightning at night. I've been craving warm and comforting meals. I like that comfort food can be all kinds of food, not just greasy, bad for you food. I find foods like kitchri to be so comforting because it's warm and cozy and nourishing. And I think it helps your soul when you treat yourself well and give it what it needs.
Joan was so happy to find a rare moment when no one was on the couch. Etta decided that Joan looked a little lonely and decided a cuddle was needed. whether Joan agreed or not!


6 comments:

  1. Oh that would be a really cool job!! And wow, you’re going to have to hang out on that roof deck more often... what a great zen view.

    Peeling chickpeas is soooo worth it! Easy if you out them in a bowl of water and rub together with your hands, the skins float. Or rub between layers of a towel and the skins come off easily.
    Soups and stews are so appealing to me when it’s cold for so many reasons- i think ultimately they hit all the senses at once, warming, fragrant, flavorful.... like a delicious hug! :))
    That korean tofu stew is a good one, there are some really delicious korean stews- there’s one using fermented soy bean paste with tofu that I really love
    Those kitties!! Too freaking cute...
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet kitty cuddles!
    Did you boil the chickpeas first? I have only peeled them once, but I boiled them for a few minutes and then the skins came off super easy. Some of them even came off and floated to the top in the water.
    It does make for super creamy hummus. But then again, I am lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice when I cook chickpeas from dry that a lot of the skin naturally comes off. But next time I do this I will try that method. I'm lazy too. I probably would only do this for special occasions!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your application, and what an incredible view! Your hummus looks great, as do the stew and kitchari! Kitty cuddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I definitely have all my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. That gochujang stew looks amazing! I wish I had some rice cakes to make it for lunch

    Good luck with your library aid job. It sounds like it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete