Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Hump Day

My favorite afternoon pick me up! Orange, carrot and ginger juice. I always feel a burst of energy after I drink this combo. And it's getting to be that time of year when everyone starts getting the sniffles and breathing and sniffling allover the place. Especially if you ride public transportation!
I made this outstanding, creamy and thick Alfredo sauce that is oil and nut free, and also super low in fat! You'll never guess what the base is??? Oatmeal!!!!! I know, crazy right! Actually a few expensive vegan cheeses and vegan cheese sauces are based on oatmeal which makes it more annoying that they're so expensive! But back to this sauce, I got the idea from my favorite YouTube channel, Team Broccoli! Here is the video with the idea/recipe! It's basically just oats, plant milk, miso paste, garlic and nooch. And salt and pepper of course. This is obviously lower in fat and calories than cashews, not to mention a million times cheaper!
Awhile ago I found these Dr. Praeger's hash browns on a serious WooHoo sale. I used to always eyeball these, but never got them because budget. I finally got around to trying them and I'm super glad I didn't pay full price. Flavor wise they easily get a 10/10, but when it comes to texture a six or seven if I'm feeling generous. A lot of the potato chunks are under cooked. I'm not really a fan of al dente potatoes! I have two more boxes so maybe those will be better?!



7 comments:

  1. I am not 100% shocked about the oat vegan cheese, but still a little surprised lol. I always use homemade oatmilk and some extra oats in the cheese sauces for casseroles. But I still add lots of nooch and cashews in it. I might want to try this 100% oat version though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember I tried the oat nacho cheese version and it was really great, but it did have lots of other flavors going on. This was a lot more simple, but very, very creamy and delicious.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh oat cheese! That sounds awesome! And good score on those hash browns (sucks about the texture, but I weirdly like al dente potatoes! ha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oat cheese is surprisingly delicious,, and so cheap to make!
      Well, then you would love these hash browns!! The taste is out of this world though. Like I said, ten out of ten!

      Delete
  3. Gah! Public transportation is a total germfest lately! I was sitting next to someone who was telling her friend she felt horrible (and sounded horrible) and was going to call in sick the next day- not kidding i got up and moved to the other end of the subway car!! No thank you.
    Maybe if you bake the hash browns for a while to cook them more that’s better? Dr praeger patties just always remind me of toddler food somehow. Usually tasty but needs a little more salt and some texture
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so gross! I know, I have people tell me how sick they are as they're coughing on me and handing me cash for their groceries!! So between public transportation and customer service it's a germ war out there!!
      I so agree about Dr.Praeger. It's always just a little too mushy. I did bake them for longer than the directions said. I was scared I'd burn them!

      Delete
  4. Using oats as a base is such a great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete