Monday, October 8, 2018

Fizzy Good Times!

My second batch of home brewed kombucha is so much fizzier than my first batch. I let the second ferment go a bit longer, and I added a bit of extra sugar to help bring on the bubbles! (Thanks Ttrockwood) Not only is home brewed kombucha so much cheaper, I love that you can customize it to fit your tastes!
About a week or so ago I came across a sale on Miyoko's cheese and I just couldn't resist. This is maybe the third time in my life I've ha Miyoko's because it just doesn't fit into my budget. I've had it lingering in my fridge not sure what to do with it. Yesterday was another grey dreary day and I was feeling a bit low so I made a super decadent cashew Alfredo and blended some of this into the sauce.
I also stirred a little bit in with the warm pasta when I added the sauce. I  had some garlic-y mushrooms on the side. This was a decadent, stick to your ribs kind of meal for sure! I've had several rich meals this week. I think the cooler grey weather and my moods have just wanted comforting, rich foods.


Etta likes to always be touching someone when she lays down. She loves to hold paws with cats and humans!

9 comments:

  1. That's great that your home-brewed kombucha worked out, and that looks like such an incredibly delicious, comforting meal! Kitty paws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely decadent and felt like a special occasion!

      Delete
  2. Woo-hooo!!! High five on those awesome bubbles! Garlicky mushrooms and miyokos sounds delicious. I actually made some congee tonight needing some comfort food myself. You would be very into it. I used a veg bullion cube in the water and then topped it with some cubed smoked tofu, lots of scallions and cilantro and some leftover sautéed zucchini, plus soy sauce and sesame oil.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've heard of congee and it seems right up my alley. I'm not sure why I've never made it but I know I will this winter!

      Delete
    2. It’s literally rice, a ton of water/broth and whatever toppings you want, so it’s super budget friendly and great to use up odds and ends!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. That hand holding, so cute, I die!

    That is so cool that you are making you own kombucha now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etta likesto hold my hand when she's sleeping next to or on me. She is just the biggest sweetie!

      Delete
  4. How many days do you let your kombucha ferment for the second time? Mine never gets THAT fizzy, but then again I am a little afraid of exploding bottles lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first batch I let go for two days and it wasn't really enough. So now I let it go three or four days. It seems to also get fizzier in the fridge, almost like it's fermenting a third time?

      Delete