Friday, October 19, 2018

Change is Coming

Something that I really love and appreciate about Salt Lake City is that no matter where you are you can just look anywhere and see beauty in the mountains. Yesterday was a particularly beautiful day with fluffy autumn clouds.
I've had these veggie gyoza in my freezer for some time now. I got them on my last trip to the Asian market. I decided to have some with this Asian salad kit I picked up.
I wanted to have these this week because starting next week my meals might look a little different. I'm going to be on somewhat of an elimination diet for a little bit. Ever since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I've been doing my best to avoid certain foods like gluten and caffeine and processed foods. But if I'm being honest with myself I do cheat more often than I should. I've been feeling more sluggish than usual so I was researching diets for hypothyroidism and natural remedies and all of that and I was surprised at the foods that I shouldn't be eating. Like raw spinach, kale and broccoli. I eat at least one of those raw daily. Apparently when raw they contain goitrogens when raw. A goitrogen is a substance that disrupts the production of thyroid hormones. There are so many things to learn, and different information so it's all a bit overwhelming, but I really want to feel better. I've got a list going of foods to eat and not eat, and things I want to eat more of like sea vegetables for iodine, Brazil nuts for selenium and pumpkin seeds for zinc. I'll be doing other lifestyle upgrades as well. Mainly meditating more. Apparently meditation, breathing exercises and yoga are very good for hypothyroidism. I go in and out of having a meditation practice so I'm going to really make myself include it in my daily routine. Here's to thyroid health!



8 comments:

  1. Oooh, those gyoza look good with that slaw! I feel ya on the food thing though. Eating on the Health Made Simple plan has really shown me how much stuff I've been eating that wasn't the best thing for me! I feel SO GOOD on this plan, and I'm hoping I can sustain that for the long term. Hope you're able to narrow down what could be causing any issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so too. I'm definitely inspired by your posts. I know I always feel better when I eat a ton of fruit too.

      Delete
  2. Those asian salad kits can be really good! They seem to include little crunchy noodley things i love. That salad with dumplings sounds like such a great combo!
    Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling so great lately, hopefully you’re able to make progress with the elimination diet results. I have no doubt that you will make yourself delicious creative meals regardless of the limitations!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those crispy noodle things too! I really love the Asian dressing that comes with those kits. It went really well with the dumplings!
      I'm kind of scared of my meals without tofu!!!

      Delete
  3. Oooh that Asian salad/slaw mix looks so good and is perfect on the side of the gyoza! Good luck with the elimination diet, it can be frustrating but I hope that it works out for you! The good thing is that you don't have to cut those foods out completely, you just need to cook them. Sea veggies are so yummy and I've heard grating a brazil nut over food mimics grated parm! Just be careful with how many brazil nuts you eat, I've heard that one a day or one every few days is all you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good!
      I'm a bit overwhelmed with information right now, but I'm super hopeful that this elimination diet of sorts is going to help me.
      I saw a video on Edyn Jack's channel where she grated a Brazil nut for a Parm substitute. I had never heard of that before!! I just got some from the bulk section. One a day!!!

      Delete
  4. The gyoza/salad looks like a great meal! Wishing you luck on the elimination diet and the meditating, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the elimination diet, I look forward to seeing your meals. And I hope that it helps!

    ReplyDelete