Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Cozy, Warm Vegan Food

I found this with the shelf stable plant milks at Winco. At first I thought it was coffee flavored soymilk, but it actually has coffee in it! It's basically a vegan latte! I try not to have coffee often, but on those days when green tea or yerba mate just aren't waking me the way I need it's nice to have this. I'm having some right now actually. I like it, it's like a nice slightly sweet iced latte. This whole carton was only two dollars so great deal there!
I swear it's been grey and rainy here in SLC for two weeks!! I feel like I'm back in Seattle! I decided yesterday was a great day for chili! Chili is kind of like sweet potatoes for me, I want to like it but usually don't. I attempted to make a vegan chili years ago and it was a disaster on top of another disaster so then I really decided I was over it. I don't know what got into me yesterday, but I wanted some chili and cornbread which is a meal that I've never even eaten! I made a tvp and black bean chili and some gluten free cornbread. I also got fancy and made some cashew sour cream to go on top! I'm not going to say chili is my favorite food, but I see the appeal. I put the leftovers in the freezer for one of those nights when I can't be bothered to cook, but want something nourishing. Maybe even some quick chili cheese fries!!
Remember the vegan Redi Whip? Well, admittedly I can eat coconut whipped cream alone, but I decided to make a delicious apple crisp and a dollop of coconut whip is the perfect topping!




9 comments:

  1. We are having black bean chili tonight. I've never had cornbread. We usually have chilli with baked potato or rice. Maybe I should give it a try. The crisp and coconut cream sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually really good. Now I see why so many people have cornbread with their chili!

      Delete
  2. You’re going to laugh at this but the only chili i really like has sweet potatoes! Haha!! Also not very spicy and has lots of tomatoes and black beans. And definitely not really chili at all..... hmm.
    There’s a pretty food canned vegetarian (vegan) chili at trader joe’s that i buy about once every winter, mostly as an excuse to eat Fritos which are necessary to scoop up the chili ;))
    What a great crisp!! Yum!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny! When I googled vegan chili so many sweet potato and black bean recipes popped up! I remember I tried the Trader Joe's chili on your recommendation an it was really good. Honestly I'll go that route from now on because chili recipes make SO MUCH!!!
      I was wishing I had Fritos to be honest!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Chili actually multiplies when you’re not looking i swear! Thankfully my corner bodega sells individual bags of fritos. I cannot be trusted with a big bag.
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. Such excellent grey weather food. I make chili but it really should be called mild-y by the time I get through with taking all the heat out of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, the one I made actually wasn't spicy either, if you can believe it!!

      Delete
  4. That apple crisp looks incredible. I'm coming over to claim some! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chili bowl looks great, and the apple crisp sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete