Friday, August 31, 2018

The Bad and Good

I've been craving pizza for a few days now so I decided to experiment with yet another gluten free pizza dough. I had some brown and white rice flour in my pantry so I made a flax egg and got to kneading. The dough was very light and I realized that rice flour is used in a lot of tempura because it's light and airy. I kind of had a feeling I was going to have issues but I had already committed to this dough. I let it rest, rolled it out as best I could, baked it a little bit on it's own, then topped it with lentil sausage, red onions, chopped black olives, garlic, and vegan shreds.
The toppings were great! I even made a quick homemade pizza sauce. But the crust was such a fail. I ended up just eating the top of the pizza! The crust was getting too done in some parts but the center was gummy and underdone. It was a mess. Veganism has never really been a struggle for me once I got over the initial cheese detox, but gluten free has been a huge challenge. I think a gluten free all purpose flour blend is best for pizza dough. But that's how you learn things in the kitchen. You have to have some fails!
Luckily I had this in the freezer to soothe my nerves! I found this at Winco for under three dollars. And they have vegan Ben&Jerry's for under four dollars! This is amazing. It's a rich, dark chocolate with pieces of chocolate truffle  throughout. I NEEDED chocolate if you know what I mean and this satisfied that craving! And it's great because it's so rich it kind of stops you from eating too much!
Joan loves it when I open the kitchen window. She sits in judgment of the whole neighborhood! She likes to keep an eye on the neighborhood cats that I feed. She also hisses at my neighbors as they come and go!!
Mofo starts tomorrow!!!



5 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I can't stop laughing, I literally just published my post and in it is my pint of Haagen Dazs that I got on sale!! That is awesome, we are totally on the same wavelength. Too bad about the crust but at least the toppings were great! Sweet Joan!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! The Haagen Dazs is so amazing!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the dough! I'm not a good dough maker either...or a good baker...I kind of feel like it's anything bready or doughy! I love it but I can't succeed making those things! The photo looks great, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of okay with regular dough with gluten, but gluten free baking has been very difficult for me to figure out!

      Delete
  3. Pizza and ice cream is such a perfect combination. Sucky about the base, but mad props for experimenting in the first place! I am such a recipe follower.

    ReplyDelete