Wednesday, August 29, 2018

More Vegan Eats

This is a very sludge-y looking juice! It tasted much better than it looks. I got a watermelon that was a beautiful red color, and a delicious texture but it just wasn't sweet at all. It had to happen sometime, I've had really good luck with watermelon all summer. I made spinach and watermelon juice all week. For whatever reason the juice from a not sweet watermelon is still sweet.
Last week I treated myself to some Chao cheese. Chao is my all time favorite vegan cheese. The creamy original to be exact. I always buy what's on sale or the cheapest and that's rarely Chao so this was a real treat.

I made quesadillas with mayacoba beans and Chao the other night. I also made some quick guacamole and had some chips with Trader Joe's tomatillo salsa. It's so good, it's tart and tangy and I can't get enough!
One of my favorite I've had a long night and don't want to cook meals. Gluten free rotini tossed with Trader Joe's olive tapenade and some baked tofu. Topped with lots of nooch and crushed red pepper. The tofu bakes in the amount of time it takes to bring the water to a boil and cook the pasta. Couldn't be easier!
Last night I had a salad with the Just Caesar dressing and what else? Big thick oven fries! I found this seasoning called Pappy's in the bulk section and I really love it. I think it's the choice seasoning blend. But it gives the fries this delicious smoky flavor, almost like they were made on a grill. Just Inc. really nailed the Caesar dressing too. I tried the FYH vegan Caesar awhile ago and it was way too thin. Also if I remember they were too heavy handed with the lemon or vinegar. Not the case with the Just Caesar. It's thick and so creamy and just lemon-y enough!
I wanted to give a quick Sprouts update. The last I heard from them they had a position in the bakery and was I interested to which I said yes. And I haven't heard back. I have tried to call and the person is not in when I call. It is of course upsetting and also very curious but at the same time it doesn't surprise me. I have just been continuing to apply to anyplace that seems better than what I have. I still think I'll hear from them, it's just when and if I get a different job in the meantime well, that's just life.







19 comments:

  1. Hey Hil - Sorry to hear that the Sprouts people seem to have ghosted you. I just checked Indeed and the Bakery Clerk job is still posted, PLUS they just listed a Grocery Clerk job yesterday! So you might want to ask if that's available. Good luck!

    https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=sprouts&l=salt+lake+city+ut&radius=0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm so sorry that they are being weird. I hope that maybe it's just busy because of the holiday and then once things calm down they'll be back in touch? I can definitely understand your frustration though.

    I agree with you about the Just Caesar! It's so good! Hooray for Chao! What a perfect splurge!

    Fingers crossed that Sprouts gets their stuff together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about Sprouts!
      The Just Caesar is soooo good!! I've been having salas every night with it!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, that quick pasta dish sounds so good and so easy! I need to make that. And I love Chao cheese too. I have a hard time not just eating the slices by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats Chao out of the package! Honestly I used some for the quesadillas and the rest I ate plain out of the package. It's so good!

      Delete
  4. Job hunting can be so hard and demoralizing. I'm sorry it's not going well for you right now.

    But Chao! I love that stuff and I haven't had it ages. Like you, I don't buy it unless it's on sale, which means I mostly end up with Daiya or Follow Your Heart (both of which are fine, but not CHAO).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their vegan shreds are pretty good for pizza and baked dishes. Definitely don't want to eat them cold! But they are the cheapest vegan cheese I've found.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering if there's any update on your Kombucha making with the Sun Tea jar. I'm going to give this a try and bought the same type spigot jar for $16. on sale. I tried to find the same one you got for $2. No luck. Guess I don't have the special budget thumb yet. That's why I'm here. haha. Now, I need some easy directions on how to start. What do I do now? Help, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far it's been two weeks and I have not grown a scoby so I think I failed miserably! I have a black thumb with plants and I must have one with scobys too!! I've decided I'm just going to buy a scoby and brew my own booch from an already formed one!
      I'll let you know where I find my scoby. I'm trying to not use Amazon so I'm going to search other options.

      Delete
  6. Oh, ok thanks! No worries! Can't wait to follow along and get some tips once you get your scoby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting news! I was going to dump the tea I brewed to grow the scoby, and there was a little scoby on top! So what you want to do is brew a batch of tea in your jug, I used like five or six green tea bags, one cup of sugar. Let that cool to room temperature and then add one cup of GT'S original, unflavored booch. cover and let sit in a dark space for I guess ten days to three weeks. I read it took seven to ten days but it took me three weeks. I'm going to try to brew my first batch from that scoby today!

      Delete
    2. Yay! That is super news! Congrats! Thanks for the simple steps. I'm gonna start today so I can get my kombucha by next month. After I get a scoby, how do I use it to brew the first batch? How long does this brewing take? Sorry if you already talked about this somewhere on here. Thanks for the help! I so love this blog!

      Delete
    3. When you have the scoby, you just brew another batch of tea, ad one cup of sugar, let it cool down to room temp and add your scoby plus a little of the liquid the scoby was in. Then it takes seven to twenty one ays to make your booch. It depends on how sweet/vinegar-y you want it. I usually go nine or ten ays because I like it not too sweet but also no too vinegar-y. Then you can take your scoby out, store it in a container with some of the liquid and use it over and over. You'll have ten million of them pretty soon!

      Delete
    4. Ten million scobies? Yikes! I don't think I have enough room for that many! I followed your steps and can't wait to see what develops! Also can't wait to see how your first batch comes out! Thanks so much :):)

      Delete
  7. A great seasoning powder is so good on potatoes! And a nice, thick dressing. I hate when they are super watery or runny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also hope that Sprouts sorts their stuff out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you! And hope you hear back from Sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great that you treated yourself to the Chao; the quesadillas look amazing! Fingers crossed that Sprouts gets back to you soon & everything works out!

    ReplyDelete