Saturday, August 4, 2018

Friday Vegan Eats

I started the day with this peach. banana, and maca powder smoothie. It was just okay. The peach wasn't really that great. A date or two would have helped with sweetness. I bought four ppeaches, so I hope I have better luck with the last three.
There is an alleyway behind my apartment and these concord grapes grow on the fence. They're growing pretty quickly! I remember last fall loving all the free grapes! Other than the few people who live here and drive up and down the alley there is no traffic so I feel pretty safe about washing them and eating them. I remember as a kid my mom loved concord grapes and I just thought she was so weird! I guess I'm weird now too. These will be ready around September or October. I can't wait!

I had another pineapple, kale and ginger juice. Pineapple is my favorite fruit to add to green juice because it really helps cut the bitterness. Even if you have a pineapple that isn't that sweet it seems like juicing it brings out the sweetness.
I decided to have a sushi Friday! I made two rolls with avocado, tofu and a spicy mayo I made by mixing vegan mayo with sriracha. Then I had one roll with tofu, avocado, cilantro an scallions and one roll with avocado and tofu. I dipped them all in tamari with some wasabi and it was so delicious! I see non vegan sushi rolls with what looks like some kind of spicy mayo but I've never had sushi with anything other than soy sauce and wasabi. The spicy mayo adds extra creaminess. It also makes them very portable, perfect for a road trip or picnic because you really don't need to have soy sauce. Whenever I make sushi and curry I'm always reminded to never give up. I used to make the worst curry in the world, and my first few sushi rolls definitely were not rolls. But now I can make a curry with my eyes closed and every time I make sushi my rolling skills get better!
For dessert I had this cherry pineapple popsicle. It sounds so crazy but I have two containers of vegan ice cream in my freezer, but all I wanted was a fruity popsicle!
They are obsessed with my reusable bags when I get home from shopping. Especially the black one. As you can tell by the look on Joan's face she is guarding her position!





5 comments:

  1. Were you ever a fan of the show Seinfeld? There’s an episode all about how fruit is a gamble, which resonates for me! Definitely look for it to watch if you haven’t, just google “fruit is a gamble seinfeld episode”.
    I hope the other peaches are better!
    Your sushi rolls are very impressive, sounds like some tasty fillings. I’m alllll about the pickled ginger with sushi!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that episode! How funny it's really so true! I need to watch it again!
      I agree, pickled ginger is a must. I always miss it when I make my own. I should pick some up to make the experience even better!

      Delete
  2. Free grapes! So lucky!

    The sushi looks so good as well. I keep forgetting that I can make them for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sushi looks great (impressive skills too)! I'm sorry about the peaches. On the plus side, it must be so wonderful to pick grapes straight from the trees during fall time. Lucky lucky lucky.....

    Also, I love pineapples! I've been eating them like crazy all summer. I will try adding them to smoothies next go round!

    ReplyDelete