Thursday, August 23, 2018

Food and Stuff

This tasted like a PB&J! It's just frozen mixed berries and cherries, banana, maca powder, flax seed and peanut butter. Frozen cherries are usually much more expensive than frozen berries, but not at Winco! I feel like a walking ad for that store but seriously the prices keep blowing me away!
I tried the mixed berry booch from Suja. So far I've tried pineapple passion fruit, peach ginger and triple berry. They also have a ginger lemon and a super greens. I will definitely try the ginger lemon but not the greens. I am against greens in my booch. So far the pineapple passion fruit is my favorite, but I've enjoyed them all.
Yesterday I made a roasted tomato and garlic pesto with basil and pumpkin seeds. I actually made this oil free because I was out of olive oil and I just can't picture coconut oil in a pesto! I just added a little water to get it all going. I don't usually use a lot of oil in my pesto anyway so I didn't feel like the taste suffered at all. I also added some white beans for a little extra fiber and protein. Since you're roasting the tomatoes they don't have to be artisinal heirloom tomatoes or anything fancy, you can buy whatever is on sale and let the roasting bring out the good.
I signed up for Vegan Mofo this year! I missed last year but the year before that was my first year and I was so excited to be part of it so I decided to do it again. When I did it before you were supposed to follow prompts which I found difficult. This year you have the option of following prompts but also doing your own thing. Much more relaxing! I also remember feeling like some of the prompts weren't relatable to people of all income levels. So I am very excited, I want to focus on budget. I feel like the misconception that vegan food has to be expensive or complicated stops a lot of people from even thinking about it. So I hope to spread budget awareness!
Although I can't wait for the temps to come down a bit, one thing I will miss is all the kitties lounging HARD and showing their bellies all the time!



18 comments:

  1. Ahhh I'm so excited to see your MoFo posts!! I am definitely all about the budget right now so I can't wait to see everything that you share! The pesto sounds so delicious and hooray for kitties!

    I need to learn how to lounge hard from those kitties. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I seriously think Kiki should give lessons!!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to your MoFo posts as well! Funny, thinking about MoFo made me realize you haven't been doing the potato thing as frequently these days. I almost miss them! Although, as an Italian, I prefer your recent pastas (and they all look amazing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny that you say that. I was just thinking how I haven't done potatoes as much. I am going to be buying a ten pound bag probably today so be on the lookout!

      Delete
  3. Did you see this news yesterday?

    A Harvard professor and the American Heart Association says that coconut oil is bad for health! Yikes!

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/22/harvard-professor-coconut-oil-pure-poison/1060269002/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pb and j tasting smoothies!! I used to get peanut flour from trader joe’s (they seriously need to bring that back) and i used it in smoothies all the time.
    And i think vegan mofo is just supposed to be fun- so you get to follow the rules you like and ignore the ones you don’t like!! :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Winco has peanut butter powder in the bulk section!! I'll have to get some, it seems like that's easier than peanut butter for smoothies!
      I agree, Mofo should definitely be fun!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see your MoFo posts! You do such a great job of making amazing and budget friendly meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to participating again!

      Delete
  6. Woohoo! Very happy that you're doing Vegan Mofo again! I relate to your blog so much because it is not pretentious and you understand people on a budget. Your recipes are always easy to make and they taste good. You're my favorite vegan budget blogger!

    --Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means so much to me. Budgeting is all I know so hopefully I can help other people.

      Delete
  7. Excited to see your Mofo posts! I haven't done it in a couple years because I've missed the sign-up. One year, I just went rogue and did it anyway without signing up (ha!). This year, I'm happy to sit back and read other peoples' posts! That smoothie combo sounds perfect — love frozen cherries!! Also, kombucha with greens isn't bad! You can't taste the greens at all (or at least I can't but palette is pretty unsophisticated — hahaha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that year!! Well, maybe I will try the suja multi greens after all!

      Delete
  8. Ah hell, well I just signed up for Mofo. hahahaha! After reading this, I popped over to the Mofo page just to see when the deadline was, assuming I'd missed it. But it was today, so I signed up! Yay! I like the weekly themes, so I'll probably do that, but the daily prompts may be a little too much (but I may attempt them). Happy Mofo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, I'm so excited you signed up for Vegan MoFo; your budget theme sounds great! And your pasta looks delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete