Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Something Old, Something New

My neighbor is moving so she gave me this bookshelf type thing! It seems like it's more for knick knacks or collectables, but I will use it for books. I need to get a lot of books! Believe it or not at one time in my life I had so many books I would have easily filled all this space and probably still have some that wouldn't fit. That will be my life again! As I'm sitting here typing this I feel so happy because my living room is slowly but surely looking homier and cozy. It's been a really long journey but I'm getting there.
Simple Truth is Smith's/ Fred Meyer? Kroger's organic store brand. I was pleasantly surprised to find these rice crackers for only $1.99 a box. For anyone who is gluten free, or has been reading this blog and my complaints about the cost of gluten free you will know what a freaking deal that is!! And the hummus was also only $1.99. I was hesitant to try the hummus because I don't always love sweet potatoes. I kept picking it up and putting it down and so on and so forth. I finally decided to be a big brave girl and got it. And you know what? I was rewarded for my bravery, it is delicious! It's super duper creamy with a nice spice to it. And it isn't sweet! You know what this means now? I need to try and make this myself! I'm starting to think I just don't like the texture of sweet potatoes, but if they're blended into something I'm okay with that. Either way if you live near a Smith's/ Fred Meyer/ Kroger look for this hummus, it's amazing! And the crackers are really great too!!
I had a Romaine, pineapple and green grape juice yesterday. This was so refreshing. Green grapes get incredibly sweet when you juice them. You could hand this glass of juice to any veggie hating person and they would gulp it down!
I've always wanted to make vegan Parmesan cheese with cashews. I happen to have some raw cashews and I finally went for it! It was super easy, I just put some cashews, nooch, garlic powder and salt in a food processor and whizzed away until it was like a Parmesan kind of texture. It took maybe ten seconds. I'm dreaming of making a pesto with this!



10 comments:

  1. Oooh that bookshelf is gorgeous! I can definitely see how it makes your space more homey feeling. It is really beautiful, I hope you'll update us as your book collection grows!

    The food all looks great! Good to know about the crackers and that juice definitely sounds refreshing! The parm sounds so good, can't wait to see it in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hit some thrift stores and see what kind of books I can find. I usually find some gems there. I will definitely show it as it grows!
      I just use the parm in some pesto and it was so tasty! I can't believe how easy it is to make!

      Delete
  2. Yey for finding a bookshelf! It nice when a room starts to feel complete.

    Also boo for expensive gluten free! Yey finding some cheap goods though! When I worked at Aldi's it was crazy how much they charged for their gluten free line, I mean they are suppose to be cheap right!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you've ever seen The Big Lebowski, but I feel like the Dudette because the bookshelf really ties the room together!
      That's the thing about gluten free is that even at cheap stores like Big Lots anything gluten free is still double the cost of gluten items.

      Delete
  3. I have a shelf exactly like that! I actually use the whole bottom row for storage since my apartment has no storage anywhere -i found some opaque bins that fit in the space and have random stuff like lightbulbs and hardware and cleaning supplies in them. And a few have picture frames, and of course lots of books.
    The cashew parm sounds delicious!!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the bookshelf. I can't believe she's giving it away to be honest! I will probably use some of the compartments for storage too since it's so big. But hopefully it will be mostly full of books someday!

      Delete
  4. That is such a great shelf! So many spaces that you can fill. :)
    The cashew parm sounds great! I've made parmesan a few times, but mostly I just am so addicted to nutritional yeast that I just pile that onto my pasta straight up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be all over the sweet potato hummus. I love them. The bookcase looks fab. Are there any books you'd love to own/ read again? Let me know, I can see what we've got in the shop. Would love to send you something for your new library

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bookshelf is awesome, and nice score on the gluten-free crackers and hummus! Your vegan Parmesan sounds great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great bookshelf!!!! I'm jealous...but...in a good way! LOL

    ReplyDelete