Friday, August 3, 2018

More Budget Friendly Vegan Food

I love the peanut butter fudge Haagen Dazs so much and the sale price is amazing so I got another flavor! Someone one the Gram mentioned that this flavor blew their mind. I tried a bite (or two) when I got home and yep, mind blown. It's a beyond creamy coconut ice cream with the most delicious caramel swirl throughout the ice cream. And they are generous with the caramel. Nada Moo is my favorite vegan ice cream, but Haagen Dazs has become a very close second.
I made some red lentil and potato fritter recently. I used to love potato pancakes when I was a kid. My mom would serve them with applesauce and sour cream.  I used this recipe. I cooked some in a pan on the stove with a little coconut oil, and I baked some. The baked fritters were just okay. But the stove top method tasted the most like the potato pancakes I remember. Really tasty!
I made my first recipe from The No Meat Athlete cookbook! These are the turmeric and sesame spice potatoes minus the sesame seeds. I forgot to grab a handful from the bulk section when I shopped. The recipe calls for a little arrowroot powder to be mixed in with the spices to help the spices stick to the wedges. I used tapioca starch and it definitely helped! I had them with some tofu nuggets and vegan mayo with sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Pineapple, kale and ginger juice. Trying to keep my body fueled with good stuff to keep my energy levels up and help fight my depression.
I made this delicious cashew korma the other day. For some reason I never thought of Korma as something I could make myself! Then I saw it on Susan's blog and I couldn't stop thinking about it! I looked up several recipes and kind of took from them all. It's basically a curry with added cashew cream. It just made it all the more creamy and rich!!
Last night I had one of my favorite easy make ahead dinners! Cold peanut noodles with baked tofu. You can't really see but there are carrots, cilantro, edamame and green onion throughout the noodles. It's the best feeling when you've had a bad day and you have this waiting for you!
I never get tired of Kiki and her lounge game. She knows how to get comfortable and she is not ashamed of her belly at all. She also is generous with her belly and doesn't attack me when I rub it.








13 comments:

  1. Those fritters look really good. How did they hold together? That's always my issue with vegan patties - hard to get them to bind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about that too because the recipe didn't call for a flax egg. But I think the red lentils acted as a binder because both the stove top and oven versions held together perfectly. I think grated potatoes are pretty starchy and hold together well on their own. But these were like perfect potato pancakes!

      Delete
  2. Did you work in a restaurant, because your meals have that restaurant-quality presentation! If they were on the menu, I'd order all the yumminess you show here! When are you coming out with a budget cookbook? I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so incredibly kind of you to say! I have worked in many restaurants as a server, I've never worked in the kitchen. I always think my plating sucks so thank you so much!
      Ha, I'd love to do a budget cookbook someday! I am planning on a budget tips post soon though!

      Delete
  3. I didn't know that brand had that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty new. Maybe in the last six months or so? It's really, really good. And it must sell well because they have also made vegan ice cream bars!

      Delete
  4. That coconut caramel sounds even more amazing than the last one!
    I’m totally impressed by your fritters, they sound seriously amazing. One year i was invited to a friend’s place for latkes and they did have egg (which at the time was fine for me) they were the best amazing thing ever..!!
    I’ve made jeon the korean onion pancakes with green onions and it uses the tiniest bit of a basic flour water mix, no egg, and surprisingly hold together great.
    Oh! I bet you could make okonomiyaki with some shredded potato to hold it together. Totally perfect for any extra cabbage or whatever veggies you have around
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously the coconut caramel is out of this world. Like maybe the best flavor i've tried of any vegan ice cream.
      These fritters totally reminded me of latkes or potato pancakes. You can't even taste the lentils, I really think they're just like a binder. Plus protein!
      I remember I made a scallion pancake once and it was AMAZING!!

      Delete
  5. You have been eating some seriously delicious meals! Hooray for ice cream! I keep forgetting that Haagen Dazs has vegan options. I need to check for sales! The fritters sound incredible and your noodle dish looks so yummy!

    Kiki lounging is everything. I need to experience Kiki level relaxation at some point in my life because that is seriously the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's funny sometimes I feel so discouraged about always being on such a tight budget, but then when I look at the meals I eat I think I eat pretty well!
      I forgot all about their vegan options because I can't find them anywhere. I'm so happy I accidentally stumbled across them!
      Is she not the best lounger ever!! Total lounge goals. I think that every time I catch her like that!

      Delete
  6. Yum, everything looks delicious; the turmeric and sesame spice potatoes sound great even without the sesame seeds! Kiki is adorable, not a care in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great! Next time I shop I'll try to remember sesame seeds!
      She is the best example of truly living in the moment!

      Delete
  7. I love a kitty who is generous with their bellies, because I want to pat all the bellehs!
    That sounds like some very yummy food, especially that cold noodle salad. It is warming up here, and I love cold noodle salads in the heat!

    ReplyDelete