Friday, August 24, 2018

Random Friday

Well, I went to Trader Joe's for a few things yesterday and got way less than expected because it was a madhouse. So I just picked up some chips and salsa. It's all I could handle.
You guys these are seriously the best tortilla chips I've ever had. Every single thing about them is perfect. The crunch is perfect, they are perfectly salted and the little lime kick is also perfect. Like I don't think I can ever eat any other tortilla chips ever!
I also went to Smith's for some Epsom salts and powdered ginger and you know I can't go to Smith's without checking out their clearance shelves! I found some goodies! The jalapeno tomatillo hot sauce reminds me of green dragon sauce from Trader Joe's, only spicier!
I had some flour tortillas that needed to be used so I decided to make an enchilada casserole. I made a homemade tomatillo sauce and layered it with black beans and rice. I also used vegan shreds from Trader Joe's. Look at that melt. Trader Joe's vegan shreds are one of the cheapest if not cheapest vegan cheeses out there and although they are gross cold I love them for pizza and dishes like this.
I love making this casserole so much because it's so easy and it's always delicious. Plus you can do what I did and make it ahead of time and just pop it in the oven when you're ready to eat. And it's tasty hot, room temperature, even cold! I'm going to freeze the leftovers for quick meals when I'm too tired to cook!
Kiki really knows how to make the pink sweater as cozy as possible! A few minutes after I took this picture Etta found her way and kind of forced Kiki to share!






13 comments:

  1. Seeing the kitty's put a smile on my face. I'll have to look for that package of tortilla's next time I visit a TJ's! I have to say I'm pretty envious of your enchilada! Looks beyond wonderful! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find the tortillas. Seriously they are life changing!!
      I love enchilada casserole it's one of my favorite easy dinners!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm trying to work this out (because that "casserole" looks frickin' delicious). That's a layer of tortillas, covered with black beans, cheese, sauce and whatever else, then another layer of tortillas on top with more of the cheese/sauce combo (and scallions)? Is that about right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a little sauce on the bottom of the pan, tortillas, rice, beans and whatever else you want, a little more sauce, tortillas an so on and so forth. Like a lasagna. It's been one of my favorite meals for many years!!

      Delete
  3. Your enchilada casserole looks incredibly delicious! Sweet Kiki looks so comfy on the sweater; I love that Etta decided to join her, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so funny how much she loves that dang sweater! And Etta too. They all love it but those two in particular really love it!

      Delete
  4. I sometimes feel that way about grocery stores, too, if they're too busy. Trader Joe's has a way of nearly always making me feel that way. I'm glad you got something out of the trip!

    I want to join the chorus praising that casserole--it looks AWESOME. I can't wait until the weather lets me have the oven on more often and I can bake some of this kind of thing again. I love enchiladas, and I love not having to roll them individually, too. My mother never rolled them--just did layers of tortillas, like that--and so sometimes I do it her way and sometimes the more labor intensive way, and they're both so good. I also like to do a sort of taco casserole-type thing with beans and rice in it, layered with tortillas. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trader Joe's is really the worst if you don't like crowds.
      Thank you. I make enchiladas sometimes too, but honestly this casserole is what I do most. All of the flavor with half of the work! I'm super grateful that I have AC or I would never be able to cook anything!

      Delete
  5. I totally understand the trader joe’s situation!! I actually just read that the store at 72nd and broadway is the busiest location in the WORLD- yeah, that’s where i used to shop! A new less busy store opened that i go to now (whew)
    I love a good enchilada casserole meal, it totally makes for great freezer meals.
    Not sure if i ever tried those tortilla chips- I don’t buy them much since i live alone and will either eat.them.all. or half go stale because it’s so humid here. Oooh!! You can use some to make chilequiles! Like these
    https://minimalistbaker.com/chipotle-tofu-chilaquiles/
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds like a NIGHTMARE!I'm glad you have a different store to go to!
      That is why I don't buy a lot of snack type foods because it's just me eating them! Although I don't deal with humidity so they don't go stale too fast.
      I love chilequiles!

      Delete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you loved the chips! I promptly added them to my grocery list for tomorrow because it has been too long since Ive had them!! Your casserole looks seriously incredible and I agree that it is a perfect make ahead meal for days where you are just too tired. Ahhhh the kitties!! Too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat any other chips. I think it's the lime kick that really takes them over the edge!
      I don't feel like I deserve to live with all this cuteness!

      Delete
  7. The casserole looks amazing!
    I am glad the tortilla chips were the best, given that it was a bit of a trial to get them. I hate busy shops.

    ReplyDelete