Sunday, August 19, 2018

Suja Kombucha, Brewing Problems and Dinner

I'm sure by now we've all seen the Suja organic juices everywhere. I've tried one or two flavors when they're on sale. Well they've decided to get into the booch game and I saw it first at Winco! Much to my surprise it was only $2.48 a bottle! Suja juice is pretty pricey so I'm assuming the super low cost is a Winco thing? I'm not sure but because of the low cost I decided to try a bottle! I chose the pineapple passion fruit. I was scared it was going to be super dry and I don't like that. I also don't like super sweet. I'm a moderate when it comes to kombucha Ha! Lucky for me this is my kind of booch. It has a really nice fruity pineapple-y flavor, it's fizzy but not too much and it's just the right amount of sweet. I will definitely buy this flavor again and I'll have to try the other flavor they have which has slipped my mind for now. 
Speaking of kombucha, remember the jug I found to make my own? Well a week ago I made a batch using some plain booch which you can use to grow your own scoby. As of now I do not have even the babiest of baby scobies in the jug. I read it can take up to ten days so I still have some hope but each day that hope kind of fizzles, I might have to start from scratch again. Kind of a pain but so worth it.

I was feeling fancy so I made a basil cashew cream sauce over some gluten free angel hair. Topped it with some cashew parm! This was actually super easy. I just blended a few leaves of basil and a little parsley with raw cashews and a little soy milk. I've been using soy milk in my cashew cream sauces lately and it makes a huge difference in the creaminess factor!


11 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great kombucha flavor! I just saw they now have a plant milk too, although I didn’t try it.
    Hmmmm, the scoby situation doesn’t sound good. It’s probably worth ordering one online, they’re just like $5-6 and it’s a big healthy scoby with the starter tea.
    That pasta sounds delicious!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely about to give up on this growing my own scoby. I think Natural grocer's is selling scobys again so I think I'll just do that, or order one online.

      Delete
  2. The sauce looks great! I've had the green Suja but looking forward to trying the new booches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like suja green juice because I need way more fruit in my gren juice but so far I'm loving their booch!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of anyone growing their own scoby before! I have seen people buy scobies, they look weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that it's possible to grow a scoby with tea and some plain kombucha. I guess I have a black thumb when it comes to plants and scobys!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry the brewing has been difficult but I'm sure it'll come together even if you have to re-start. That pasta looks incredible! Basil cream sauce sounds so yummy!

    I think you've started your new position by now so if you have, I hope that it is going well and you are enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just going to have to buy a scoby. I think maybe I'm just not that talented.
      The basil cream sauce was really a nice surprise, I've never made it before!

      Delete
    2. I forgot, I haven't started yet but I can't wait!

      Delete
  6. I'm catching up with all my blog reading, but I heard that some people can't get healthy cultures from bottled kombucha anymore. I think it has to do with modifications to the cultures to make sure there aren't trace amounts of alcohol. I got my SCOPY to grow by using kombucha on tap, trying googling if there are any places near you that do that. Sadly, they tend to be expensive, but worth it since making it at home will save money. BUT I was able to find one near me that sold it for $2.50-ish which is about the same as a bottle. You can use a flavored kombucha if you are in a jam.

    Also check craigslist to see if someone is selling/giving away SCOBYS. You might get lucky.

    ReplyDelete