Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Blues Foods

The last couple of days have been a little rough for me. Depression reared it's ugly head and it's been a definite battle. So because of that I've been having some simple meals.
Oven fries and tofu nuggets are always one of my favorite comfort foods. With sweet chili sauce and some vegan mayo for dipping! I'm so grateful that I have AC in my apartment otherwise I would not be able to have my beloved oven fries!
Nothing beats kitchari for when you don't feel well. I find it soothing when I'm off mentally or physically. This is so easy to make and it really does comfort you. I got fancy and topped mine with both sriracha and green dragon sauce.
Yesterday I was craving quesadillas and so I whipped up some homemade garlic-y refried beans. I was going to buy a can of refried beans which was on sale for $.99 a can, then I noticed a whole pound bag of pinto beans were also on sale for $.99! Homemade tastes much better anyway!
I used this new to me daiya cheese. I tasted some cold and it tasted really good! And it melted like a dream in the quesadilla. I have to say that daiya has definitely improved over the years!
I caught Etta and Kiki being the absolute cutest the other morning. Look at Kiki's little white paw on Etta.
I have an interview on Saturday at Sprouts! Although I seriously hate grocery store life, the position I applied for is for a bulk section person/clerk whatever it's called. It's perfect for me, I love bulk sections and also it's a lot less interaction with customers which is what I desperately want and need. Fingers crossed!





15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been down. When you dropped off the radar for a few days, I was worried about you.

    But this is definitely cool about that interview at Sprouts! I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you have had a few tough days. I know it helps me to remind myself that feelings are temporary, that “this too shall pass” and just have to ride the waves in the meantime.
    Comfort food simple is totally the way to go- your oven fries are seriously professional!

    Sending you all the best for the interview, it sounds like a good fit for you! Hopefully a grocery discount too ;))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely been trying to tell myself that. This wave just kind of came out of nowhere.
      I'm lucky that potatoes are one of my comfort foods!
      I so hope I get it! I feel like it's a good fit too and a discount would be amazing!!

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed for the interview, I hope it goes well.
    I am sorry you have been feeling down. Lots of hugs. <3 <3 <3
    Tell those kitties to let you into the middle of their cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that you have been having such a hard time and I really hope it passes soon. It looks like you've been enjoying some good meals and I've heard that Daiya has been stepping up their game in terms of quality! I'm sure the high quality of their competition has pushed them to step up their game.

    I am so excited for you for this interview! Fingers and toes crossed that it goes well, I know it would definitely be a better fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.I hope so too!
      I think for awhile daiya got used to owning the market and then vegan cheese kind of exploded so I think you're totally right. They have to keep up.

      Delete
  5. Hey you...me again. Do you have a recipe for refried beans? Are they easy to make. I love them but, unless you buy cans specifically marked as vegetarian, they contain lard so I rarely bother to buy them anymore. Any tips are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked some dry pinto beans with lots of garlic powder and added them to a food processor with a little bit of the cooking water. I pulsed it a few times. It's easy to accidentally make hummus which I've done many times. You want a little texture. I think they're pretty easy to make and I agree about the canned. Plus it's sooooooooo much cheaper!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you've been having a tough couple of days; your comfort food definitely looks comforting, though! And I cannot get over the cuddly cuteness of Etta and Kiki; they are too adorable! Best of luck on your interview; I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm starting to feel a little bit better.
      They really are too cute!

      Delete
  7. That looks like great comfort food. Hope you feel better soon and I'll be thinking of you on Saturday and sending good vibes xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm feeling hopeful about the interview!

      Delete
  8. I'm catching up on posts. That quesadilla looks so yummy! Maybe I should make some soon with some beans and peppers. Mmm...

    Also I hope you don't need it by now, but good luck with the job application with Sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen the new American but was thinking I had already tried it...it was the cheddar I was thinking instead. I need to get the American...I've heard good things about it!

    ReplyDelete