Sunday, April 5, 2015

We Are The Champions

I work as a server in a private club. The club serves food that is far from vegan, and also far from fresh, or homemade. The mashed potatoes are instant, and the rest of the food is frozen, canned, or boxed. When people exclaim how delicious the food is, and what a great "chef" we have, I have to just smile, and walk away. I don't even think they notice that the stuff is not fresh. It's kind of strange. I've only had instant mashed potatoes a handful of times in my life, and they do not taste like real mashed potatoes. It's funny to see a private club be so airline food chic. I always have the image of private clubs being a bit more high end. Anyway, I'm saying all of this to say I do not eat food at work. Even if I weren't vegan, I love myself enough that I still wouldn't eat that stuff. I like real food please. I try to eat right before I go to work, because I am also uncomfortable bringing food to work, because the handful of times I've brought food, I get the stares, comments, and I feel like I'm an exhibit or something. The other day, I had some things to do before my shift, and needed to grab something to take to work. With very few options anywhere, I settled for some in store made veggie rolls from a local grocery. I felt like carrot and avocado rolls aren't too weird, I should be safe from ridicule, right? Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. People (members) were just walking up, and staring like it was the weirdest thing ever in the history of ever. I was very, very shocked. I think people who eat at this club favor foods in the shade of beige, so maybe the bright colors were just too scary. It's very hard not to bristle back, and challenge them by showing them the ingredients in some of the food the chef whips up for them. I can't of course, as I am a mere serving wench. I've come far as a person, however. I did not get upset, or embarrassed like I would have in the past. When one lady said in the most sarcastic tone possible, "well, enjoy" I smiled at her and said "I absolutely will". I feel bad for those people, they will never know the joy of a ripe avocado roll. The shame. As I looked into the club that night, and all I saw was a bunch of people drinking, and chain smoking, and eating deep fried everything, I felt so grateful that I wasn't one of those people anymore. There was a time when I drowned the pain of life with alcohol, and nicotine. It's hard to care about putting fresh, healthy food in your body when you're just poisoning it anyway.
I know I'm not the only one out there getting teased because of food, of all things. Or, even getting teased for being a vegan. I've come to learn to consider the source of the teasing. Nine times out of ten, they aren't even people who you respect. The teasing comes from their issues. It took me a very, very long time to realize that. And I still have days where I struggle with not taking it personal. To me, I find if you don't really engage them too much, they move on. People are choosing vegan options more and more, and people are starting to finally wake up to some of the animal cruelty(not just vegans) so the people who want to stare and point can just have their narrow little corner, as far as I'm concerned. It feels so amazing to let that stuff go. I wish I would have been able to accept this years ago. It just isn't worth it to accept their toxic junk. They want you to feel as bad as they do. Misery loves company.
My crunch, earthy tip for this fifth day of Earth month is baking soda and vinegar! It's springtime, and lots of people deep clean their homes. Vinegar cleans windows and mirrors better than any window cleaner I've ever used, and baking soda is a great scrubber for sinks, and tubs. Also, sprinkle some baking soda on your carpet an hour, or longer before you vacuum for a non toxic, fresh as spring carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment