Thursday, April 16, 2015

Bullseye

Yesterday I had to make the two bus ride(4 buses both ways) trip to Target. The town I live in has a very strange set-up. It's almost as if they punish people for not having cars. Any way, I'm very leery of big box stores, but I needed something that could not be bought at the Co-op. I've read here and there that since Target has stepped into the grocery game, they've become vegan friendly. I was eager to see for myself, and hoping to find something new to try. I did find something new, a new to me kombucha, called raw & organic Live Kombucha. They are in cute little glass soda looking bottles, and they were on sale two for four dollars! I had worked up a thirst figuring out where I was going in this store, so I knew I had to try these. They have fun soda flavors like culture cola, Dreamy Orange, pure Doctor, and root beer. I see from their website that they have tons of other flavors, these are just what I saw at Target. I chose Dreamy orange, and Culture cola. I opened the Dreamy Orange while waiting for my bus, and I almost cried tears of joy. I don't know how in the world they did it, but it tastes like orange cream soda, minus the fake flavor, color, and who knows what else is in that stuff. This is Kombucha for the soda addict, who is struggling with kicking the habit. This is kombucha for people who think they hate kombucha. In order to really recommend this to anyone, I felt the need to taste my second choice, Culture Cola. Well, this culture club really wanted to hurt me because I am near tears again. It tastes like what I always wanted coke or pepsi to taste like. It's not so sweet, but it totally tastes like cola! These people know what the heck they're doing. If you have a Target close to you, run, do not walk and try this booch. This is so good, I might inquire about buying an eight pack from Target. This is not good, I started brewing my own booch to save, but Kevita, and now raw & organic Live are just making booch that is irresistible to me. I will say if you are a fan of the lets say tangier Kombuchas, you may not like this brand. This is less boochy, as they are clearly going after the soda market, so keep that in mind. But, if you were ever a fan of soda, and sometimes miss it, seriously try this. I am absolutely blown away. I believe the pure Doctor is their take on Dr. Pepper. I have a sentimental attachment to Dr. Pepper, so I really can't wait to try that flavor.
Target wasn't what I would consider overly vegan friendly, but they did have a fair amount of Gardein products, even their own brand of faux meats called Simply Balanced. The Target I was at had a chipotle "chicken" type of thang, and also a miso glazed "turkey". Also great price on Just Mayo. About two dollars cheaper than the Co-op. So, while I wouldn't make a special trip for any vegan fare, the new Kombucha discovery is having me rethink my stance on Target! It wasn't too long ago that a store like Target would not have Kombucha, or Gardein, let alone their own brand of frozen vegan food! It feels good to have veganism becoming so mainstream. It's what we need, it's what the animals need most importantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment