Sunday, April 19, 2015

Eye of the Tiger

I'm starting to really fall in love with Sweet Earth Natural Foods. I tried their Hickory and sage seitan bacon awhile ago, and suffice it to say I'm a fan. In my opinion it is the best vegan bacon on the market. It is the vegan bacon I would serve to people who are scared of vegan bacon. Well, my friends I stumbled across some Sweet Earth frozen burritos at a grocery, some are vegetarian, some are vegan. One of the flavors that caught my eye was The Curry Tiger. This burrito has seitan, potatoes, and red peppers, along with spices like tumeric, cinnamon, and cardamom. Just like with the bacon, these burritos had no mystery ingredients, so I decided to give this tiger a try. I needed something quick to eat before work yesterday, so I popped one in the oven while I was showering. When I got out of the shower, my kitchen smelled lovely.  I knew I was going to love it just by the smell, and boy did I ever! It is not spicy, it is definitely a mild curry flavor, chock full of perfectly cooked lentils. If you are a spice lover like me, a little dash of some hot sauce makes it perfection. I will be trying all of their vegan offerings for sure. This is a vegetarian company, so make sure you read ingredients, as some of the flavors contain cheese. They have a Greek burrito that sounds perfect if it wasn't for that pesky feta cheese! The burritos were on sale two for something, so I bought two. Well, this is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I ate both in one day! The one I had before work was so delicious, that I took the second burrito to work for dinner!
There are instructions for both oven, and microwave heating. At home I used the oven, and it came out perfect!! At work, there was never a time when the oven wasn't cooking pepperoni pizzas, so I opted for the microwave. After trying both methods, I highly recommend the oven if you have the time. There is something about microwaves that steals the joy from food, which is why I don't own one. It was okay, just had that kind of limp, soggy, I've been microwaved vibe to it.
Sweet Earth is putting out some stellar products, proving that packaged food doesn't have to have a bunch of scary non-foods in them.
If you see Sweet Earth products at your grocery, you should really give them a try. Before we know it there will be beautiful tomatoes popping up, which make vegan B.L.T's soooo much better!
After expressing my frustration yesterday, I am happy to be able to find more and more sweet little companies that are vegetarian/vegan. It restores some of my lost optimism. Life is really about that balance.
Earth month is marching along, and today I wanted to let pass along this great tip for keeping your shower drains clog free. If you have long hair, you know the pain of clogged shower drains. Also sugar/salt scrubs, and even coconut oil can kind of slow things up. This is where vinegar and baking soda are your best friends. Simply sprinkle about a half of a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by a cup of white vinegar,  and let sit for about twenty minutes. Follow up with boiling water, (I just fill up my teapot) down the drain, and your lovely open drain will thank you. This won't work on a drain that is totally backed up, but it will help maintain clear drains. I have been doing this once or twice a week for quite some time now, and it has really worked for me.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment