Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Pantry Tacos and Turmeric!!

I had a purple and an orange sweet potato laying around, so I decided to make sweet potato fries and try dipping them in some of that agave mustard hummus dressing I'm in love with. I seasoned the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper, turmeric, cayenne, and garlic powder.
The dressing was the perfect dip. It has a tang from the mustard and also apple cider vinegar, and that goes really well with the sweet potatoes. This dressing is soooooooo good! I want to experiment with a pasta salad using this dressing. I always feel so healthy after eating sweet potatoes, especially the purple ones, it seems like every day I read an article about the health benefits.
For dinner, since it was Tuesday and all, I made pantry tacos! I had an avocado that neded to be used, and I still need to use the tofutti sour cream, so it all spelled taco!
I just heated up some pinto beans with some frozen corn and some taco seasonings, and had tacos topped with avocado, tofutti sour cream, and salsa with tapatio of course. To be honest, I feel like the tofutti and avocado together was too much. Next time I'll choose one or the other.
I also wanted to share a recent experience I had with the healing benefits of turmeric. On Sunday, I woke up with the biggest pain in the back of my knee. I couldn't bend it without severe pain, and it was a little swollen. I have no idea what happened, it literally happened overnight. I didn't know what to do, I don't have medical insurance(never have as an adult) and to be honest it was scary. I went around my morning as usual, and decided that maybe taking a walk would help. It did not. I got home and it was worse. To bend it at all like to sit made me actually yelp in pain. I was getting really scared and upset, it really sucks to feel so scared and helpless. Anyway, I remembered that I had some turmeric root in my fridge, along with a small knob of ginger root. I blended the two and made a really powerful mix. I drank a shot of it Sunday, and also used turmeric on all of my food that day. Monday, I woke up to pain, but a lot less. I did another shot on Monday, as well as adding powdered turmeric to my food, and adding turmeric root to my green juice. Yesterday it was even better, and I had turmeric in my green juice, and turmeric with my breakfast. Today I would say I'm about  90 to 95%. Here is a great article about some of the amazing benefits of turmeric if you're interested. I'm no doctor, hell I can't even go to a doctor, but I know what I experience in my own body, and it seems giving myself a high dose of turmeric really sped up the healing process. Because Sunday was a very painful day for me. I'm noticing that turmeric root is becoming more and more available at regular groceries. It looks like ginger, but skinnier and a little darker. And powdered turmeric is super easy to find. It's easy to add a dash here and there to food because it has such a mild flavor. Anyway, I am a believer!
Happy Wednesday!


11 comments:

  1. That's amazing about turmeric, thanks for the link. I've heard it's an anti-inflammatory but can't believe it worked so effectively for you in a relatively short time. I've seen it in the refrigerated section at Trader Joe's and now I'm definitely getting some and juicing with it. Does it have a strong taste? What do you recommend juicing it with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a mild taste, but it gives a little spicy kick to your juice. I add it to green juice, but my absolute favorite combo is carrot, orange, ginger and turmeric. I use about a half inch knob in my juice, more if I'm feeling ache-y.
      When my knee was really bad, I juiced a huge knob of turmeric and ginger and drank it straight. It was spicy, but I am seriously convinced that the large doses of turmeric really helped my healing. I feel almost back to 100% after all the turmeric. It's also really beneficial to the old liver!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. To be honest, I haven't checked into it. I've gotten so used to not seeing doctors over the years that it's just the norm. But to be honest, I do need to look into Obamacare because life happens, and turmeric definitely can't cure it all.

      Delete
    2. There are also programs available through each state that you can look into- and those are usually free general healthcare, free Rxs, and emergency care. Please do pursue this, i have a friend who was in a horrible accident without health insurance and she will likely never get out of debt- but even free insurance would have covered the hospital bills she was stuck with.
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    3. I have started thinking about looking into some kind of healthcare. I know that I take my good health for granted, and anything can happen in a moment. I've heard a few horror stories recently of situations like your friend's.

      Delete
  3. Are you feeling better now?

    Also try checking out Obamacare. I don't know the details, but I hear most people don't use it because they just don't think it could be an option. I find our current health care system pathetic. It clearly needs some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. I was in intense pain for one and a half days, and then it quickly went away. I have no idea what brought it on. It was definitely scary.
      I am going to start looking into Obamacare, I'm very stubborn but I'm starting to realize that anything can happen at any time, and if you aren't insured,you aren't safe. It's just not something that I think about on the regular because I have never had it in my adult life, so I've just gotten used to never seeing a doctor. Like I can't remember the last time I've had a physical.

      Delete
  4. Please check out the Obamacare. I am worried about you not having anything. We are so lucky in England to have our free healthcare system. It is not always the fastest system but the care is good and best of all free. Although it is under threat and our current government are trying the privatise it. That it really interesting about the turmeric. I've been dabbling with it a bit making warm turmeric milk as a bedtime drink but after reading this I'm going to try your juicing idea. A couple of weeks ago I got diagnosed with osteo-arthritis after being sent for an x-tay. I used to be really bad about going to the doctors and it turns out when I had a fall 3 years ago that I actually fractured my pelvis and it seems likely to have been caused by that. My hip pain is fairly low grade at the moment and I'm trying not to use painkillers so the turmeric seems like a good option. I also made a fab turmeric hummus the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please check out the Obamacare. I am worried about you not having anything. We are so lucky in England to have our free healthcare system. It is not always the fastest system but the care is good and best of all free. Although it is under threat and our current government are trying the privatise it. That it really interesting about the turmeric. I've been dabbling with it a bit making warm turmeric milk as a bedtime drink but after reading this I'm going to try your juicing idea. A couple of weeks ago I got diagnosed with osteo-arthritis after being sent for an x-tay. I used to be really bad about going to the doctors and it turns out when I had a fall 3 years ago that I actually fractured my pelvis and it seems likely to have been caused by that. My hip pain is fairly low grade at the moment and I'm trying not to use painkillers so the turmeric seems like a good option. I also made a fab turmeric hummus the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!!!

    btw...if you got some weird comments from me with half sentences and cut off words I'm sorry! My computer is freaking out LOL

    ReplyDelete