Thursday, May 26, 2016

Feeling Funky

It's been quite awhile since I've gone to my neighborhood grocery store. It's not that close to me really, about one and a half or two miles away, but if I'm feeling feisty, and don't need heavy items, I can go there and back without riding the bus. Although the bus experience in Seattle is a hundred million times more pleasant than it was in Erie, I still enjoy skipping the bus when possible. So, I got a few things yesterday, and will get the rest of what I need at Trader Joe's.
Brown rice, pinto beans, Ataulfo mangoes, and Swiss chard

HP sauce, Peruvian hot sauce, ice tea/lemonade apples, lemons and turmeric root
Chocolate pretzel bark, chocolate truffles, and Marzipan covered chocolate
Coconut sugar, pierogies,and oops HP made it again!
I made a green juice with kale, chard, apples, turmeric and cucumber when I got home. I was very glad to find fresh turmeric root again. I feel so much better when I add it to my juices.
Chunk is waiting not so patiently to play string!
I made some pierogies with garlic for dinner, and it was really tasty, but the pictures turned out bad, even for me. And I have posted some ugly pictures! I served them in a white bowl, and there wasn't a lot of color. And I was super hungry so I didn't have the patience to fuss around and make it pretty.
I'm off to Trader Joe's. Early bird avoids the crowds and all that. I have some recipes I'm going to try sometime this week. I was looking for things to do with corn flour besides tamales, and I discovered this thing called a Pupusa. It's a Salvadorian dish made with masa flour, and you fill it with beans and vegan cheese. I watched someone make them on YouTube and she said they reminded her of Quesadillas that took a super long time to make.(ha ha) Hopefully things will pick up, I've been in a bit of a funk again. I blame the grey skies.
Happy Thursday!

9 comments:

  1. I tried those pierogis once but never found them again; wish I'd bought more. Love pierogis but nearly impossible to find vegan ones. Does anybody else hoard good vegan food finds like they're never gonna find it again or is it just me? What's that British-looking HP sauce? Is it like A-1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have no idea why it's impossible to find vegan pierogis! This is the only brand I've seen, and unfortunately they aren't the easiest to find. I totally hoard hard to find vegan foods, or also expensive vegan foods that I know I might never have again. I sometimes feel actual anxiety over using the foods!
      The HP sauce is considered a "brown "sauce in England. It's similar to A1 except that it's like five thousand times better. I rarely buy it because it's a lot more expensive than A1, but like I said it's so much better! It has a sharper, cleaner taste. I really forgot how much I love it. I feel like I need to hoard the rest of the bottle because it was a real treat and it tastes so good with oven fries!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh pierogies!! Yum! That is a great find for sure! I definitely know what you mean about hiking to the store. When I lived in Seattle I avoided the bus as much as possible. When the weather was nice and I felt like going on an adventure I'd want a couple of miles from the University District to the closest Whole Foods. I brought a backpack and put my few treasures in there (I was on a grad school budget - Whole Foods was a treat, ha!) and even though I only did it a few times I really enjoyed it! I went early in the morning on Sundays :)

    I hope that you feel better soon! I know it sucks to feel crappy but hopefully you'll feel like yourself again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're ok and the funk passes quickly. I start a meditation course on Sunday. I've been inspired by you to do it you know! It's called Breathworks and is a mindfulness course designed to help cope with chronic health conditions. I love that you have HP sauce. It is such a British institution! I'm not a big fan but Matt loves it so we have it in the house and I don't mind when he adds a little to soup or stew recipes. Because of the tanginess you can sub it for Worcestershire sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the meditation course helps you! It has helped me more than I ever imagined. Even on days where it feels like my mind never quieted, I still feel the benefits.
      I love Hp so much more than A1, but it is pricier here so this was a real treat. It's soooo good with a little vegan ranch as a dipper for oven fries! I'll have to keep that in mind about the Worcestershire sauce. Thanks for that tip!

      Delete
  4. I used to love HP Sauce back in the day when I made my own Seitan Patties. I should try it on Boca Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I first tried it, on a boca vegan griller. It is really great. I bet it's excellent on a Beast burger too!

      Delete
  5. I will have to look into Salvadoran dishes and soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't know enough about it either, but after making the pupusas, I need to learn more!

      Delete