Monday, May 9, 2016

Corporate Vegan

I have been a fan of Sweet Earth natural foods for awhile. I first discovered their delicious burritos in Target in Erie PA. of all places. It was such a welcome, unexpected surprise. I also remember that the same Target had some of Sweet Earth's veggie burgers on sale, and I remember I really enjoyed the flavor I tried. I believe it was the Za'atar flavor. And their Curry Tiger burrito is seriously one of my favorite things ever. I always look for sales when I'm in Target. I also tried their Benevolent bacon, also while living in PA. In my opinion it's the best faux bacon out there. And, it doesn't look insanely weird. So, I was pleasantly surprised to learn some new things about the company, thanks to an article in VegNews magazine. I learned that the founder, Brian Swette was the former chairman of BURGER KING!!!! And now he runs a company that is making amazing vegan and vegetarian food. So inspiring! He says he didn't have a specific light bulb moment when he mad the switch to becoming vegetarian, but it was a series of events. His daughter who is an environmentalist became vegetarian while in high school, and really learned about cooking, and nutrition started blowing his mind with delicious vegetarian food. And he also had taken a meeting with someone from PETA and was able to be open minded enough to realize they were making some valid points. And that led to he and his wife deciding to start a plant based food company. I love stories like that. He said he was expecting PETA to be very aggressive and judgmental, but he said they were thoughtful and direct. I found that to be a pleasant surprise!
He's a corporate kind of guy, and so a lot of the article was stuff that usually either makes me gag or puts me to sleep, but since it was corporate speak that benefits animals I loved it! He was asked about Ben&Jerry's, Wendy's, and Taco Bell offering vegan options, and he said what we all know, these companies are in it to make money, and they will follow the marketplace, if a little on the slow side. And of course, as each place has success more will follow.
It was a very interesting article, and very uplifting in a very corporate way. I recently had someone ask me why I would support a company who is offering a vegan product for the wrong reason, making money. I said of course I fully support 100 % vegan companies always, but we have to show these mega corporations that they should be selling vegan products, we will buy them. That's how we are going to save animals. Anyway, it's the June issue of VegNews, and it's a good one. Magazines are too pricey for me, this was a treat, but worth it!
I took it easy yesterday and hung out with my feline family and took a ginger detox bath, and ate some potatoes!
Oven fries with smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, turmeric, and S&P.


Like a hug from someone light and fluffy
I tried the Road's End Golden gravy this time. I think it is maybe supposed to mimic poultry gravy, like turkey or something? It was pretty good, not my fave but I'm glad I tried it.
I also had a green smoothie with spinach, frozen mango and banana. And I made a really great grilled cheese with rosemary bread, supremely spicy hummus, daiya, and banana peppers. Hummus make a really great spread for grilled cheese,  it adds flavor and even more creaminess!
Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great story - to go from Burger King to a champion of veggie foods. I've never really engaged with Peta but that's encouraging to hear of them doing such good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's more inspiring than normal because he went from Burger King to vegetarian and vegan food. Reading stories like that really pull me up, and give me that energy and encouragement that it isn't too late!
      I was very surprised to read that PETA wasn't aggressive with him. When they're good, they're good. It was non aggressive PETA literature that convinced me to make the switch from vegetarian to vegan. I just don't like some of their aggressive, shock value ways.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try the Benevolent bacon, but uh... I have a hard time justifying the price. XD I am a little scared I won't like it too, you know? XD But that is really interesting to hear how someone working for McDonalds can change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you. When I first tried it I had stumbled across a sale at Wegmen's, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it. I feel the same about their burritos, I love them so much, but I rarely buy them because of the price. And it's the worst when you fork over the money and don't like it!

      Delete
  3. They have new products coming soon! Looking forward to the ones I can find that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of their new entrees/bowls at Target, but most were vegetarian. I hope they have more vegan choices too!

      Delete
  4. Get daily ideas and instructions for generating THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME for FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS TODAY

    ReplyDelete