Tuesday, May 10, 2016

No Cheesiness Required

I had to run to Target yesterday for dish soap, and I could not leave without getting a Curry Tiger burrito.(or two) Once again, I didn't have my camera or phone with me to get a picture, but I noticed that Sweet Earth now has frozen meals! They're more like bowls I guess. A lot of them were vegetarian, but they had a few vegan ones. I'm sure as the vegan meals gain popularity, they'll make even more varieties. I can't say enough about these burritos. They definitely don't taste like something that came from your freezer. I can't vouch for how they are cooked in a microwave, I've only cooked them in an oven, and they always come out perfect, without that weird damp mushy feeling that some frozen burritos have.
I had a bag of gardein beef-less crumbles way in the back of my freezer that I found, so I decided to add some black beans and call it a taco night. I used up the last of the tofutti sour cream that was stressing me out. I don't think I'll be buying it again, I think I lost the taste for vegan sour cream, or at least tofutti. It's funny how our taste buds change the longer we're vegan. I try to explain that to non vegans when they say they could never give up cheese. I was like that, and man it was very hard for quite awhile. Even when I was over the worst of my cravings, I would still sometimes look longingly at cheese-y things my friends were eating. Now, I have no desire, and it just looks like a big blob on people's plates. And even my use of vegan cheese has greatly decreased. I've grown to love things like pizza, pasta, and even quesadillas without cheese. Vegan cheese is awesome of course, but I just don't feel a need to always have some on hand.
I've recovered from my little funk I was in, so that means PRODUCE! I am going to get some lovely fruits and veggies for my poor fridge, which right now has a few leftovers, but mostly condiments! Ha, I'm such a bachelor!




12 comments:

  1. I feel like I have been seeing tacos everywhere and after seeing yours I really want some :) I may have to make that happen soon. Believe it or not I have NEVER tried a hard taco! I feel like that is ridiculous and I should definitely change that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should try hard tacos! They totally aren't authentic at all, but there really is something to be said for that crunch! Trader Joe's has organic blue corn hard shells that are really good!

      Delete
  2. Tacos always sound good to me!! (I'm a soft tacos only kind of girl)
    Glad that your funk passed, everyone has those days here and there.
    Guess what?! Trader joe's has vegan marshmellows! Just in time for summer smores :))
    I gave up on anything cheese like many years ago back when there just weren't any vegan options, so although i love the vegan cheeses i have tried they're more of an occasional random purchase than anything i buy weekly
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw a picture on Instagram about the vegan marshmellows! I was just there yesterday, but I didn't look for them because I didn't know they existed! I am so excited because vegan marshmellows are hard to find, and super expensive!
      I agree about the cheeses. They are now a treat, as opposed to something that I need on a daily basis.

      Delete
  3. Love Sweet Earth burritos. I agree - I practically loved cheese more than life itself and can live without the faux versions. Now it all just looks like a big hunk of colored wax. I loved Chao but lately I've lost my taste for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. A lot of non vegans don't believe it, but your taste buds really do adapt.
      I loved Chao sooooooo much when it first came out, and I still do but it's definitely a rare treat. Once the novelty of being able to eat cold vegan cheese wore off I quit buying it as much!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree about the tastebud changes. If I ever acidentally eat any dairy it tastes fatty and weird and not at all how I remember it. Another thing that really changed taste wise is honey. I do like some vegan cheeses but I also love things like cashew cheese sauce or home made almond cheese just as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt at my old job when I would serve people pizzas with all that cheese on top, it just looked like a fatty gross blob, not something I wanted to eat.
      I agree, I love vegan cheeses, but cashew and almond feta are both so amazing.

      Delete
  5. Totally get that! I remember when I was waffling between veganism and omni lifestyles and I was craving pizza so I had it... and the cheese was just yuck. My husband wasn't vegan for awhile and would keep complaining about the pizza he would get, I think he just got over the whole cheese thing without realizing it. XD Now we are daiya junkies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Mexican food not too long ago with a friend, and I was just grossed out by how much cheese was on his meal. That's the biggest message I wish I could explain to anyone thinking about trying veganism, is that those cheese cravings go away. And unlike other vices where you sometimes feel tempted, once you lose your taste for dairy you never want to go back.

      Delete
  6. I had those a while back and enjoyed them! Can't wait to try their new products as soon as I can too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good, I only wish they were a little cheaper so I could eat them more often!

      Delete