Monday, May 2, 2016

Hummusphere Salad Dressing!

How funny is this? I didn't realize going to the mall was such an EVENT! To me this is equal part hilarious and sad. Oh world, where are we going here?
I've been wanting this book since it came out a few months ago, and I decided yesterday that I deserved a treat. In case you don't know, Jasmin Singer is the Executive director of Our Hen House.  She was on a podcast I was listening to, and she was talking about the book, and her life and I just felt so connected, like our pasts of self hate and self abuse were different, but similar. She was so honest and brave, and it just made me want to know her and read this book. I might never know her, but I now own this book so I'm happy. There are some books that you get from the library, and some you have to own, and I just know this is one I need to own. It will be a book I read again and again, and probably be loaned to someone I come across who I feel needs to read it, and I'll never see it again! That's always the way it goes with certain books. I have owned, loaned out and borrowed a million copies of  The Celestine Prophecy in my life!
I also wanted to do a little review of the delicious hummus salad dressing I discovered the other day.
I couldn't be bothered to take a prettier picture, I was starving!
It's made by Hummusphere Foods, which I think is a newer company, or at least new to my eyes. I chose the agave mustard dressing, but I saw a roasted red pepper, and original flavor as well. And looking at their website, I see they have some other flavors as well, like triple sesame ginger, and smoky black bean chipotle. I didn't really think any bottled dressing could compete with FYH blue cheese or ranch, but dang this stuff is tasty. You definitely taste the Dijon, which I love. It isn't too sweet, and the hummus just adds a creaminess to the dressing, not so much flavor. I remember stumbling across a recipe for homemade agave mustard dressing awhile ago, and I loved it so much because it used a little vegan mayo, which added the creaminess and a little fat to blend so nicely with the sharp Dijon. In this case, the hummus replaces the vegan mayo. I made a salad with iceberg, Romaine, carrots, banana peppers, and a Qrunch burger, and topped it with this dressing, and it was the best salad I've had in awhile. I will be buying more of this, I need to go back while it's still on sale. If you liked honey mustard dressing, try this. I am imagining a spinach salad with this dressing. It would be great on a kale salad too. It really was way better than I expected. Perfect timing to discover a new salad dressing as we go into the warmer months!
I discovered these vegan gravy packets, so I had to try them. Vegan gravy packets without a million different scary ingredients are hard to come by, and I do not have the gravy making gene!
I tried the savory herb on some mashed potatoes, and it's pretty dang good! I suppose the fact that I enjoy gravy from a packet proves that I may not be the best judge, but hey, if you're like me and your gravy making skill are weak, it's nice to know there's some help out there! It's herb-y, and nice and thick and not too salty.
I feel like it would be a good gravy to use for some type of biscuit and gravy type of dish.
Happy Monday!






8 comments:

  1. That dressing sounds really delicious!! The gravy looks good too. That looks very similar to what I'm planning on having for dinner tonight and will be posting tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dressing is sooo good! I just had some sweet potato fries that I dipped into the dressing, and it was out of this world! I can't wait to see what you're making, I'll see ya tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful bowl you have here! Looks delicious! And that dressing...OMG!!!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find with that salad dressing! You should totally pick up a few while it's on sale! I haven't seen that brand before, but i do make salad dressing from hummus thinned with a little lemon juice that is delicious- next time i'll add in some dijon too!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going today to see if they're still on sale. It is so tangy and delicious. I was thinking the other day that it would probably be pretty easy to recreate. I might try too. I never really would have imagined Dijon and hummus getting along so well!

      Delete
  4. My local mall does valet parking too- but they are trying to be a "high end" mall, with more expensive chain stores inside and "nice" chair restaurants. Some days though parking can be so bad I start thinking about using it- but it is usually reserved for the restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Northgate Mall is trying to be more high end too. I've noticed changes from when I lived here before. To be honest, If I had a car and went to the mall on a rainy or snowy day, I would probably use it too! Because I've walked by the mall on days where it looks like there is not a parking space to be had.

      Delete