Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Umami Punch!

People have been raving about this umami seasoning blend for quite awhile. I've never tried it because I usually have a big bag of mushroom seasoning fro the Asian market. I've been out of the mushroom seasoning for awhile, so when I went to Trader Joe's last week I picked this up.
All I can say is WOW!! This stuff is the real deal. And a little sprinkle adds a lot of flavor. I add it to the water when I make miso soup, and it takes it to a whole new level!
I like to simmer brown rice with ginger, garlic, tamari and a little of the seasoning, then add baked tofu, miso and top it with a little hoisin and chili paste. One of my favorite breakfasts!
I also used some mushroom magic in this lentil soup I made the other night. I used a new to me spice blend, Ras El Hanout, which is a North African spice blend. It has a lot of warming spices like cinnamon, ginger, clove and more. I also added crushed red pepper for spice. This hit the spot on a snowy night! Thanks again Blake for the amazing spice box!!
Last night I made a red lentil curry soup and a little of the mushroom seasoning definitely added oommph. This seemed like the perfect meal to have as my last dinner of the decade. I feel like lentils are definitely my signature legume!
I cannot recommend the umami seasoning enough! It's like $2.29 or something a bottle, and it doesn't take mush to really add a lot of flavor.
Happy New Year and New Decade to everyone!! Can you believe it's a whole new decade?




5 comments:

  1. That sounds AMAZING! I wish we had Trader Joe's here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know how they make this magic. Even just adding a bit to water makes a really rich mushroom broth!

      Delete
  2. Ras El Hanout always sounds to me like the name of one of Batman's arch enemies. Glad it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I had netflix, I watched The Arrow, and there was a bad guy named Ra's Al Ghul, and that's what I thought of too!! Arrow and Batman are pretty similar!

      Delete
  3. That seasoning blend sounds fantastic, and the miso soup looks so good!

    ReplyDelete