Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Everything Old is New Again!

This week I've been really going down memory lane with food. I've been making dishes that I used to have pretty often, but for whatever reason I just haven't made while I've been in my slump.
I used to make cauliflower wins fairly often before going gluten free. When I made the switch, I tried several different gluten free flours and it just wasn't the same. I guess I just gave up.
As I mentioned last week I've been trying to spend some time each day decluttering, and the other day while decluttering my pantry I found some rice flour. I also have chickpea flour, so I decided to experiment with a combination of the two and see what kind of batter that would make.
I used 3/4 of a cup of rice flour, and 1/2 cup of garbanzo flour. I then added enough water to make a thickish batter, and guess what? I think I found my answer!! You know how sometimes you have to just walk away from something for awhile?
I made a sauce with hoisin, some of the too spicy Schezwan sauce, a little sugar to mellow out the spice and some tamari. I drizzled a tiny bit of sesame oil over the finished dish. This was so good, just like seeing your favorite friend you've been missing!I'm getting my hair trimmed today and if that goes okay I'll be popping in to Trader Joe's for a few things. Wish me luck with my hair, I get so much anxiety getting it trimmed. I swear one of these days I'm going to scour YouTube for tutorials on cutting my own hair so I can just do it myself!!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you came up with a nice gluten-free batter for cauliflower wings! Good luck with your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything goes well with the haircut!
    You cauliflower wings look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making cauliflower wings with besan/chickpea flour would essentially be like pakoras, which I love, so I imagine those would be awesome!

    I saw that you've already gotten your hair cut! Good for you! I know what you mean. I do cut my own hair sometimes. My refusal to go to a salon for a few years led to me having my hair at "in danger of entering the toilet" length even though I was cutting it, though, because my hair grows super fast and I was too cautious with my trimming. Even so, I liked cutting my own better than going to get it cut, though the results are somewhat better when someone else does it. Maybe you can adopt an every-other-haircut thing for at-home experimentation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember using rice flour and chickpea flour for my cauliflower in the past! Now I just quickly coat them in cornstarch and skip a batter. Makes life simpler, but maybe I will try the batter again tonight?

    ReplyDelete