Thursday, January 9, 2020

Random Meal Roundup!

Last week I got a new/used refrigerator so I was trying to clean out and use the stuff I had in both my freezer and fridge to make it easy for the switch. The most exciting thing for me is that even though my new fridge is used, it looks better than my old one. My old fridge had two fist marks in it!! What kind of maniac punches a refrigerator!!!
While cleaning out my freezer, I found one and a half(!) frozen beyond sausages, so I decided to try a one sheet meal which was al the rage awhile back. So, I roasted some potatoes and when they were almost done I popped the sausages on top to bake. It turned out really well. I have to say this is my favorite way of cookin g the sausages. I've cooked them twice before on top of the stove in a pan, and I don't like the splattering or the overwhelming meaty smell  lingers way too long. The oven is the way to go!!
I had some sauerkraut and iceberg lettuce on the side with a dig dollop of yellow mustard. I see the appeal of one sheet meals. Pretty tasty and easy clean-up which I love!
I'm still drinking celery juice several times a week. I alternate celery juice with orange, carrot ginger juice. I definitely prefer orange carrot, celery is more of a chore. I have to throw an apple or pear in for sweetness, I don't know how people drink it straight!
Still loving oven fries! I found this seasoning on clearance at Sprouts, it's called natures sprinkles, and it kind of reminds me of a ranch seasoning. Not sure what this sauce was, probably some kind of spicy mayo.
I made sesame noodles the other night. Another delicious recipe from The Asian Vegan Kitchen. I am really loving this book! I keep it on my coffee table, I don't even put it back on my cookbook shelf because I've been using it so much!
Last night I attempted vegan California rolls. I believe California rolls have crab salad, avocado, cucumber and some kind of spicy mayo drizzle. For my "crab" salad, I grated smoked tofu, mixed in a little veganaise, and some old bay seasoning. My avocado wasn't ripe(of course), so I used just cucumber. I only had one nori wrap left, so I made a sushi burrito. I enjoyed the "crab" salad, I bet it would be good on a roll with some butter lettuce.
Look at Kiki's ears!! She is so perturbed that Bubba has been sleeping on HER bed!! No one else really minds at this point, but she really doesn't want him around!







8 comments:

  1. Good tip on baking Beyond Sausages! I'll try that. I love a one-sheet meal! And that Asian Vegan Kitchen dish looks so fresh and amazing. I need to give my juicer some love. It hasn't been used in awhile. Celery juice sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other bonus about baking the sausages is that the grease drips down into the potatoes and really gives them a nice flavor. I know it's not the healthiest, but it's kind of worth it!!

      Delete
  2. One-sheet meals are great; it's been a while since I've made oven fries, so I'll have to get to that soon! I'm so proud of Kiki for sharing the bed with Bubba -- even if she wasn't happy about it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud of her too. She is so upset by him, so allowing him on the bed near her was a huge step!!

      Delete
  3. Your crab salad is a lot like the Viet Vegan's mock crab salad, which I've made often. It's amazing on a roll with lettuce, I can well attest. And my co-workers are envious if I pack that for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny that you say that, because I got the idea from both the Viet Vegan and Cheap Lazy Vegan!! I had never thought of shredding smoked tofu, or any tofu, I really like the texture!!!
      If I weren't gluten free I would so have it on a soft roll with butter lettuce, yum!!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh Kiki, at least it is only the ears and not trying to bop him!
    Some really yummo food here. I especially like the idea of a potato and sausage sheet meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, she still does a ton of bopping!! Her new nickname is thug life!!
      The potato and sausage sheet meal is fantastic, I think some Brussels sprouts would be a great addition too!

      Delete